Idler Arm Replacement On Toyota 4Runner?

13 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:26 PM

I took my mint condition:smirk: 1990 Toyota 4Runner in for an allignment at Firestone yesterday. We have owned this vehicle since new. My dad bought a lifetime allignment back in 1993.:applause:

The technician wouldn't even do it because he said I have a loose idler arm. He quoted me at $325 for parts and labor.

Do you think this is a way for Firestone to re-coop some of their losses? We only paid $79 back in 93'. Since then, the contract has been used atleast 10 times.

If not and Firestone is an honest business, then how hard is it to install one of these idler arms? My dad said he used to replace idler arms on all his older vehicles. Is this something I could do in the driveway? I can do minor work with the help of a manual by my side.

Any advice is extremely appreciated. I'm taking the 4Runner on a road trip from Sacramento, CA to Scottsdale, AZ and back in about 3 weeks. I really don't want to ruin my tires or get bad gas mileage.

Thanks in Advance,:applause:
Nick

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:55 PM

I took my mint condition:smirk: 1990 Toyota 4Runner in for an allignment at Firestone yesterday. We have owned this vehicle since new. My dad bought a lifetime allignment back in 1993.:lol:

The technician wouldn't even do it because he said I have a loose idler arm. He quoted me at $325 for parts and labor.

Do you think this is a way for Firestone to re-coop some of their losses? We only paid $79 back in 93'. Since then, the contract has been used atleast 10 times.

If not and Firestone is an honest business, then how hard is it to install one of these idler arms? My dad said he used to replace idler arms on all his older vehicles. Is this something I could do in the driveway? I can do minor work with the help of a manual by my side.

Any advice is extremely appreciated. I'm taking the 4Runner on a road trip from Sacramento, CA to Scottsdale, AZ and back in about 3 weeks. I really don't want to ruin my tires or get bad gas mileage.

Nick

Idler arm replacements are easy-3 bolts and one nut in many cases.

The tire shop refused to align it since aligning a vehicle with bad components does no good-the toe settings are affected by the flexing up and down of the idler arm, allowing a constant change of toe-in and out as you travel down the road, causing your tires to wear and adversely affecting handling.

Do it before you go on your trip, you'll notice alot tighter steering.

They may have been rooking you a bit on the parts and labor-Napa shows the lifetime warranty idler arm at $129 retail (4x4 version), and shouldn't take more than an hour's labor to install ($100 or so)-kinda a bit short of the $325 quoted.:applause:

http://www.napaonlin...=Idler Arm Assy

• cleonard

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:04 PM

I had the same issue with my Toyota pickup. It turned out that my 89 4x4 pickup idler arm was rebuildable. It came apart and there were two replaceable plastic bushings. Check to see if you can rebuild yours. It was a lot cheaper than a new one. It was really easy on my truck to get it in and out. Just a few bolts to remove. Even the attachment to the steering came apart rather easily.

Check autozone for a replacement. They are about the least expensive. I think that it's $70 or so for a new one.

• NorCal

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:20 PM

Ok.... so you're saying I would have to take off the idler arm, which shouldn't be difficult, and take it to Autozone to trade my old idler arm in for a new/rebuilt one for roughly $70?

Is that the best/cheapest way to go?

Thanks Again!

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:31 PM

Ok.... so you're saying I would have to take off the idler arm, which shouldn't be difficult, and take it to Autozone to trade my old idler arm in for a new/rebuilt one for roughly $70?

Is that the best/cheapest way to go?

Thanks Again!

Ask what bushing material they use-good ones use brass or bronze, cheap POS ones use plastic-plastic bad.:applause:

• 924rutsrider

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:10 AM

FYI, mine was replaced 3 weeks ago on my 92 4runner as part of factory recall. You may want to check into the factory recall before you spend any $ on this.

• cleonard

Posted February 28, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Ask what bushing material they use-good ones use brass or bronze, cheap POS ones use plastic-plastic bad.:applause:

That's how my Toyota OEM one was made, and I thought the same thing. POS plastic.

• NorCal

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:13 AM

FYI, mine was replaced 3 weeks ago on my 92 4runner as part of factory recall. You may want to check into the factory recall before you spend any $ on this.

I think I remember a factory recall sent in the mail. I never got around to taking it in to the dealer. I'll get on that prior to anything regarding the idler arm.

If it comes down to replacing the idler arm, I'll stay away from plastic.:applause:

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.:applause:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:29 AM

I took my mint condition:smirk: 1990 Toyota 4Runner in for an allignment at Firestone yesterday. We have owned this vehicle since new. My dad bought a lifetime allignment back in 1993.:applause:

Nick

You can not set toe with a worn idler arm, so an alighnment would be a waste. An idler arm is about $175 for this, I suspect labor to put it on plus align. Sounds OK to me. He was being fair,. he could of aligned it, charged you, said you needed it (idler arm) and you'll have to align it again.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Idler arm replacements are easy-3 bolts and one nut in many cases.

The tire shop refused to align it since aligning a vehicle with bad components does no good-the toe settings are affected by the flexing up and down of the idler arm, allowing a constant change of toe-in and out as you travel down the road, causing your tires to wear and adversely affecting handling.

Do it before you go on your trip, you'll notice alot tighter steering.

They may have been rooking you a bit on the parts and labor-Napa shows the lifetime warranty idler arm at $129 retail (4x4 version), and shouldn't take more than an hour's labor to install ($100 or so)-kinda a bit short of the $325 quoted.:applause:

Plus alignment

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:36 AM

I think I remember a factory recall sent in the mail. I never got around to taking it in to the dealer. I'll get on that prior to anything regarding the idler arm.

If it comes down to replacing the idler arm, I'll stay away from plastic.:applause:

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.:applause:

Its for the relay rod, and if the tie rods are frozen, they can add it. But it doesnt include idler arm. But paying a small difference, ie hardly any labor, alignment included in recall, you could get it fixed at a good price. PM me your VIN, I can run to see if you have an open recall

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 28, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Plus alignment

I took my mint condition:smirk: 1990 Toyota 4Runner in for an allignment at Firestone yesterday. We have owned this vehicle since new. [COLOR="Red"]My dad bought a lifetime allignment back in 1993.:applause: [/COLOR]

:applause:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:33 PM

:applause:

JUst checked his rig, has an open relay rod recall, so he can still get his alignment free. :applause:

• Chickenhauler

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:37 PM

JUst checked his rig, has an open relay rod recall, so he can still get his alignment free. :applause:

Then all bases are covered besides the idler arm and an hour of knuckle smashing (if he uses a cheap-o Craftsman ratchet, that is):applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.