im ordering ASV's and i have a question....

30 replies to this topic
  • ____Kurt____

Posted February 27, 2007 - 07:08 PM

well i have around $200 and i was wondering what i could buy..... so i thought, well since both the tips of my levers are snapped off, i can solve this problem by buying ASV's. i am getting the C/5 brake (black) and a C/5 shorty (black) with pro purch and mabey the hot start, but thats where i need my question answered. i was wondering if i could put my compression relese where the hot start would go. that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. it gets rid of my compression relese lever and makes use of the hot start option until i mount it on my 450. im going to be ordering these soon within the next couple days so an answer the sooner the better if you know what i mean:thumbsup:
thanks, Kurt:D

• AlkalineOne

Posted February 27, 2007 - 08:25 PM

unfortunately no... the conpression release cable has a larger fitting than the newer 450f hotstart cable.

i tried this mod on my 98 yz400f, and all i did was used a file and dremel tool to bore out the hole to fit the compression release cable. however, it is easy to go a little to big. it needs to be a perfect or loose fit, because you dont want that decompression to engage when the motor is running.

the good news is, you can purchase the "hotstart" part of the lever for only $20, so when you do get the 450, you can just buy a new one for a perfect fit

• gdbarr1976

Posted February 27, 2007 - 08:34 PM

well i have around $200 and i was wondering what i could buy..... so i thought, well since both the tips of my levers are snapped off, i can solve this problem by buying ASV's. i am getting the C/5 brake (black) and a C/5 shorty (black) with pro purch and mabey the hot start, but thats where i need my question answered. i was wondering if i could put my compression relese where the hot start would go. that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. it gets rid of my compression relese lever and makes use of the hot start option until i mount it on my 450. im going to be ordering these soon within the next couple days so an answer the sooner the better if you know what i mean:thumbsup:
thanks, Kurt:D

Every year my mother gives my wife $200 to buy me a birthday present from her. This past year "she" got me some asv c-5 levers. I got to tell you I did not like them. Ended up putting my old levers back on. Spend your money on maybe a suspension service.

• Honda_Racer19

Posted February 27, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I have the ASV levers on my 03 CRF450 and I really like them. The clutch has a nice smooth pull and the break lever has little more response with no play. it is READY TO USE. Not to mention they pay for them selfs in a short time period seeing as how easy levers break so easily. Not to mention there is no great suspension service that you could get done for a measly $200 bucks.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:20 PM

I have ASV C5's on my both bikes. I paid under $100 per bike for them, though, by buying them through ASV's online store on eBay. They are refurbs sold at auction with a full warranty.

Then, you can buy a 450 exhaust cam from TT and just get rid of your compression release. :applause:

• 2wheels-drz

Posted February 28, 2007 - 05:56 AM

i just don't think asv's are worth it, i mean i rarely break levers and i would have to break alot to make them worth while. And there not going to make u any faster.

• dangermouse007

Posted February 28, 2007 - 06:05 AM

I Bough ASV's F3's refurbs through there online store...1: there are brand new, cus I will be dammed if I can find a mark on them..2: best thing i have bought for the bike they are just so well made and the clutch is so much better now....and sorry running on a WR450 2007.. not that it would be much different than the YZ's.. do it they are great love em..

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2007 - 10:08 AM

i just don't think asv's are worth it, i mean i rarely break levers and i would have to break alot to make them worth while. And there not going to make u any faster.

Since I bought mine, I would have broken or seriously bent the clutch lever at least 6 times. Using cheap replacement levers, this is $60 minimum, which is about what I paid for the complete clutch lever. I'm certain that at least one mishap would have jeopardized the integrity of the brake master, as well, but it went by without consequence. Not having a broken lever ruin a ride, priceless.

They also have C5 lever blades to replace the stockers using the OEM clutch perch, which makes them much less expensive still.

• mxpro125

Posted February 28, 2007 - 10:17 AM

I have C/5's on my bike and really like them, no decomp tho, :-)

• brotherdallas

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:06 AM

The C-5's are great. Great company. Great service. I appreciate them everytime I crash and look down and see broken lever tips on the side of the hill. I have them on my '06 and had to get a smaller hot start cable insert because it came with a larger diameter hole. Your compression relase mod might work with the levers i got for my '06. Call 'em up and see what they think.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ____Kurt____

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:44 PM

ok, just got home from school and i see alot of good and informal posts. it does bring up another question though, if i bore out the hot start hole to fit my decompression, would i have to buy a new back for my 450 so i can put the hot start in there or will i have to buy a new backing of the purch(no big deal)
im not conserned about the money issue as for getting refurbished and f-3's. im going to call ASV and see what they say.

• Joe_Jet

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Get the Sunline ARC forged levers. Much better quality!

• ____Kurt____

Posted February 28, 2007 - 01:08 PM

Get the Sunline ARC forged levers. Much better quality!

forged better then cnc'd billet 6061 allum? um definitly not....

• 2wheels-drz

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Since I bought mine, I would have broken or seriously bent the clutch lever at least 6 times. Using cheap replacement levers, this is $60 minimum, which is about what I paid for the complete clutch lever. I'm certain that at least one mishap would have jeopardized the integrity of the brake master, as well, but it went by without consequence. Not having a broken lever ruin a ride, priceless.

They also have C5 lever blades to replace the stockers using the OEM clutch perch, which makes them much less expensive still.

6 is alot, guess it does work out for you. think i have only ever broke 2 in like 4 years! prob got something to do with the fact am always running aprico handguards for supermoto...

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2007 - 03:49 PM

prob got something to do with the fact (that I) am ... running ... handguards...

gee, you think?

Not too many rocky hillsides on SM tracks either. :applause:

I never liked handguards.

• ____Kurt____

Posted February 28, 2007 - 06:21 PM

I never liked handguards.

yea me niether, other then the fact if i fell i would have levers when i picked it up...

so i called ASV and they said the compression release will work in th ehot start hole i just have to either drill or mill ( no ryhme intended :applause:) the hol out a little to fit it in. sounds like im going to be rocking ASV's after all, i just need to order them from chapparal or some other cheap place(so total is under 200)
if you guys know of any places that carry asv's for cheap , post the site please, i've looked forever so far.

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 08:59 AM

if you guys know of any places that carry asv's for cheap , post the site please, i've looked forever so far.

HELLO....

Did you miss my earlier post re: eBay?

• yzboy18

Posted April 29, 2007 - 06:50 AM

where do you buy cheap replacement levers?

• dwnlowx

Posted April 29, 2007 - 07:36 AM

i would not buy any levers from them ...

Posted Image

and the other lever i have on my bike right now looks the same way and they dont bend back like asv says

• grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2007 - 08:14 AM

If you go with the C5's, you'll get a stronger lever than the F3 is. I would have broken or seriously bent at least 10 levers in the "incidents" that have happened since I installed the ASV's.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.