to excel or not to excel?

10 replies to this topic
  • wickedsprint

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:25 PM

So still on the fence about fixing the stock front rim back to normal (slightly dented from rock), or paying about 780 for a local wheel shop in denver to superlace some excels on my 650R. Is the upgrade worth it? Would likely keep stock hubs for a bit.

• hill5150

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:29 PM

I hope thats not 780.00 for a relace. You can buy front and rear w/ hubs from east Coast Wheel for probably 900??

• wickedsprint

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:35 PM

I hope thats not 780.00 for a relace. You can buy front and rear w/ hubs from east Coast Wheel for probably 900??

Thats me handing them my stock wheels, and getting them back with excels, and some heavy duty laces. I think just the spokes and wheels are around 5-600? That sounds like a good deal from east coast, iw ill check them out. I wonder how much shipping would be for two complete wheels...seems that for 900 I get two complete wheels with talon hubs, so basicall ygetting two hubs for 120 bucks when compared to the local shop, so if shipping is less than 100 bucks this might prove to be the ticket, thank you very much for the reference.

• porterdog

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:02 AM

Better search on East Coast Wheels- they've got some unhappy customers lately...

• Whiteman

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:52 PM

http://www.rtrwheellacing.com/

Try giving this guy a call, he does nice work. If it is just color you are looking for. He did the wheels on my sold X and they turned out great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wickedsprint

Posted March 01, 2007 - 05:22 PM

http://www.rtrwheellacing.com/

Try giving this guy a call, he does nice work. If it is just color you are looking for. He did the wheels on my sold X and they turned out great.

I could care less about the color, I just want more durable wheels.

• Potts228

Posted March 02, 2007 - 11:19 AM

So still on the fence about fixing the stock front rim back to normal (slightly dented from rock), or paying about 780 for a local wheel shop in denver to superlace some excels on my 650R. Is the upgrade worth it? Would likely keep stock hubs for a bit.

Someone is trying to screw you! You can find new Excel rims on E-Bay and even mail order for $100 to $130. You can keep your stock spokes and labor should be no more than $45.00 for each wheel. My bad math skills tell me you should be paying no more than $175.00 each wheel or $350.00.

Yes, I am hoping you are capable of taking your own wheels off of the bike and removing the tires yourself.

The Excels are a MUST upgrade since the Pigs rims are made of butter and I highly recommend using a set of stainless spokes when you do this!!! This will add about $95.00 per wheel.

So... if you add the spokes you are now at $540.00

• socal_sierra

Posted March 10, 2007 - 05:10 AM

motosport.com has excels with HD excel spokes for 360 shipped (also check the TT store). Then add around $50 per wheel for lacing/truing..

• XRJunkie

Posted March 10, 2007 - 06:07 AM

Speaking of Excel's, what is the proper parts list for a swap? Rims, spokes, rim locks, and hubs? Or, do most folks just use the stock hubs?

Really considering a set but am researching pros/cons as well...:applause:

• Potts228

Posted March 13, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Speaking of Excel's, what is the proper parts list for a swap? Rims, spokes, rim locks, and hubs? Or, do most folks just use the stock hubs?

Really considering a set but am researching pros/cons as well...:applause:

The stock XR hubs are more than fine! If you want some bling then you can go aftermarket. You can also polish the stock hubs... this looks pretty cool.

• rmhrc630

Posted March 13, 2007 - 11:20 PM

I reckon excels rock!!! Black excels even more. I paid Aussie $300 for each rim, $80 for lacing and I think $150 per wheel for spokes - kept original hubs.

Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.