Whats the best pipe for 04 yz450f

16 replies to this topic
  • beardkx125

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:04 PM

What is the best pipe for the 4 yz450f. And what does everybody think of adding flywheel weight? How much weight. Having stalling problems in slow 180 type corners. thanks for your input.

• Ranger18

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Turn your idle up a little, and use your clutch more. A flywheel weight will mellow out your excelleration, and is really only needed on tight technical trails. If you had to hit a jump just after that turn, you most likely wouldn't have enough speed with a weight.
A pipe is not going to prevent you from stalling in a corner, it would only make your excelleration faster, and for that you would need a full system.
Maybe all you need, is to re-gear.
The best and cheapest thing to do is just keep practicing. Early in the day I still stall out in turns, but the more you practice the faster you can take turns then you won't stall out.:applause: :applause:

• xcessjw

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I have a 2004 as well and I just ordered the 8oz flywheel weight and a FMF muffler with the primary goal being to mellow out the acceleration a bit. The stalling is something that I have experienced as well although usually because of my own lack of skill. I turned my idle up a tiny bit and forced myself into the habit of using a little more clutch..seems to do the trick for me although alot of sharp guys in here have been talking about the ZipTy carb modification and how good it is. When I install the parts I am also jetting it based on recommended settings from Dubach..I will update as to any changes good or bad that I feel. My bike is bone stock and has 2.5 race seasons on and aside from the occasional stall has been flawless. How much of the stalling is a symptom of jetting vs. moronic rider remains to be seen. Now if only I could send myself out for a rebuild.....

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:45 PM

Skill or no skill, high idle or not, an 8oz weight will improve the overall rideablity of the '04 very noticeably without any measurable loss in power or acceleration.

• beardkx125

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:45 PM

I dont want to mellow out the bike i want the best pipe for the price and most performance gain. im just asking about the flywheel weight because i want to know the pros and cons of if it would help me on the track at all or what it would do for me. thanks for your input. do they make the mrd pipe for the 04 the site made it seem like they didnt so just wondering. This post is actually for my friend he doesnt have a computer. thanks for all your posts.

• flintlock28

Posted February 27, 2007 - 06:51 PM

There was a link somewhere, from Dirt Rider magazine regarding pipe comparison's for the 03' yz450f. Since the 03' and 04' are so similar, I would think the results would be nearly identical.....bottom line was that the Full system Jardine RT-4 was the system to get if you want a Dragster.

I just added a 6 0z. Dr. D flywheel weight, to make the bike more manageable on the trail...I haven't tried her out yet.

Oh, just found the exhaust test.....here ya go:

http://www.dirtrider...f_exhaust_test/

• Nitroused383

Posted February 27, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Read the article, they tested the DR.D slip-on vs all the other full systems. It out performed almost all of them. Its the best bang for the buck and I can vouch for it. My bike has the gytr flywheel and it still stalls if you are not used to it. Anyways, I bought an 06 yz250, so if you are interested I could sell you my Dr.D slip-on. It also comes with a removable spark arrestor. I could put the stock exhaust back on the bike and sell it. PM me if you're interested.

• grayracer513

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:07 PM

You will likely find a performance gain in adding weight to the flywheel on an '03/'04. The engine demands careful control of the throttle to maintain traction in loose corner exits. With the extra weight, the bike is less prone to blow the rear tire off the back like it was a big two-stroke and bite like the thumper it is. In any case, it won't slow it down. Go with 8 oz, or at least 6.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 28, 2007 - 06:08 AM

I dont want to mellow out the bike i want the best pipe for the price and most performance gain. im just asking about the flywheel weight because i want to know the pros and cons of if it would help me on the track at all or what it would do for me. thanks for your input. do they make the mrd pipe for the 04 the site made it seem like they didnt so just wondering. This post is actually for my friend he doesnt have a computer. thanks for all your posts.

WB Alum Pro 2 for the 03-05 is the best pipe available. The DRD is 2nd best. For MX no need for larger flywheel weight it has a 5oz already - just turn the idle up. :applause:

• Ranger18

Posted February 28, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I don't know that MRD has a pipe for the 04, but you can always call or email Dave. www.mrd-racing.com If MRD doesn't have one, then I would go with either the Dr. D or the WB simply based on thats what all the guys at my local track run on their 03-05 yzf's
Also Gray's correct the 03-04 have a boat load of low end hit. Too much in my opinion. And even though I think the weight might slow the rate of accelleration, it will definatly make for a smoother rate of accelleration, which would intern make for a much more track friendly bike. So I would go with his advise and use the 8oz weight.

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2007 - 10:38 AM

For MX no need for larger flywheel weight it has a 5oz already

I have two points of disagreement with this:

First, the '03 and '04 (and the '05) all have the exact same flywheel. The marketing info on Yamaha's web site stated that the '04 had increased rotating mass, but in fact, the only increase was that the rod bearing was larger, and the big end rod eye is bigger to accommodate that. The change in inertia mass is fairly insignificant.

Second, the value of extra flywheel on this engine using the stock CDI as opposed to something with a variable ignition map has more to do with traction control than with stalling. And that, of course, depends on the dirt surfaces you run on. Once in a while, I get to ride on perfectly groomed soil with just the right amount of water on it and terrific traction, but the other 80% of the time, I'm on slippery hard pack or something loose and deep. Without the flywheel, leaving a corner was a frustrating wheelspin fiesta. With the flywheel, I get to watch the other guy sit in the corner and dig while mine bites and takes off.

• mycrx

Posted February 28, 2007 - 10:43 AM

id say turn your idle up as well, i have a 04 yz450f and ive noticed if i didnt turn it up a bit when i pulled the clutch in it would drop the rpms well when id give it gas it was just idleing to low and bogged out, the stock pipe is awesome in my opinion, 450s dont need more power anyway.

• TexN343

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:19 AM

If I had the money I'd go with the jardine can and powerbomb header. Not sure if they both fit together on the mid pipe tho. Instead of a flywheel weight pull out some money and get a rekluse. No more stalling ever.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:52 PM

I have two points of disagreement with this:

First, the '03 and '04 (and the '05) all have the exact same flywheel. The marketing info on Yamaha's web site stated that the '04 had increased rotating mass, but in fact, the only increase was that the rod bearing was larger, and the big end rod eye is bigger to accommodate that. The change in inertia mass is fairly insignificant.

Second, the value of extra flywheel on this engine using the stock CDI as opposed to something with a variable ignition map has more to do with traction control than with stalling. And that, of course, depends on the dirt surfaces you run on. Once in a while, I get to ride on perfectly groomed soil with just the right amount of water on it and terrific traction, but the other 80% of the time, I'm on slippery hard pack or something loose and deep. Without the flywheel, leaving a corner was a frustrating wheelspin fiesta. With the flywheel, I get to watch the other guy sit in the corner and dig while mine bites and takes off.

I thought the 03 has a less than 3oz and the 04/05 came with the 5oz...I added the GYTR 5oz to my 03 and it is perfect for me....I see no reason to go larger than this, but this is just my personal opinion..:applause:

The stock 03 flywheel is not enough period unless you prefer lots of spinning tire action

• dwnlowx

Posted February 28, 2007 - 01:30 PM

id do the fmf with the mega bomb its great

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2007 - 02:07 PM

I thought the 03 has a less than 3oz and the 04/05 came with the 5oz...

Nope, they're both the same. And, they're both heavier by far than 3 or 5 oz. The weights refer to weight added, not to the total flywheel weight.

Mine came with a 4 ounce, which was not enough, as I saw it. I had planned to try a 6 when I found a good deal on a used GYT-R racing 'wheel (about 5oz over stock, according to Dubach). That was actually noticeable, even if barely, but given that I had it, I swapped the 4oz for an 8. It hasn't been back off the bike since. The only thing the bike has less of with that flywheel is uncontrollability.

• gregvanzant

Posted January 06, 2008 - 06:47 PM

has anyone had trouble with tire to muffler clearance problems? we have a 2003 yzf450 and purchased a FMF SPEED slip on muffler.it sounds good,runs good but the rear tire will hit it on a jump. only slightly but hits the inside of the muffler.it is brand new from dennis kirk and we havent heard from thier tech staff yet because it is Sunday Jan.6,08.
the bracket cant be moved either way but its new and should bolt right on. has anyone had the same trouble? thanks ,greg 'oldlucky' vanzant

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.