Downside to Uncorking....?

5 replies to this topic
  • xrunt

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:21 AM

Bone stock '03 XR650L besides the MT 21's

I forget where I read it but one poster suggested that these bikes with all the carb mods and aftermarket easy-breather parts become more finicky when you take them too far up or down.

As an XR hunter I do just that (sea level to 6-7000 ft) so would like to hear any feedback if you have any...... thanks a lot.

• cleonard

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:57 AM

Bone stock '03 XR650L besides the MT 21's

I forget where I read it but one poster suggested that these bikes with all the carb mods and aftermarket easy-breather parts become more finicky when you take them too far up or down.

As an XR hunter I do just that (sea level to 6-7000 ft) so would like to hear any feedback if you have any...... thanks a lot.

I don't think that it should make all that much difference corked vs. uncorked. One thing is that the stock bike is very lean for sealevel. Just guessing, but I'd say it comes properly jetted for about 5000 feet. Since the bike delivers more power when uncorked, you might notice the power drop more than an uncorked bike. My normal riding range is 1000 to 8000 feet and my XR600 is setup fro about 3500 feet. In the summer when I hit the mountains and ride froom 7500 to 10000 I do drop the main jet one size. It's not too hard to do.

Try the Dave's mods. You will like the result.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 27, 2007 - 01:36 PM

stock it is horribly stuffed up and not breathing, once the right amount of fuel air and exhaust flow is added there is only one thing to increase - power. That and it starts easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EMathy

Posted February 27, 2007 - 01:47 PM

My 94 XR600 has a slipon FMF, rejetted stock carb and an aftermarket UNI filter. This summer I did a ride that took me everywhere from sea level all the way to 10,000 ft. It didn't miss a beat! I didn't have to adjust a thing. It's amazing how well these air cooled XR's run in so many different conditions.

Tear all that smog crap off your 650L, put on a slip-on and rejet it. You'll be fine! :applause:

• xr650rkyle

Posted February 27, 2007 - 02:48 PM

You will suck down MORE GAS!
Limiting your range, Then you will need a bigger tank!

• EMathy

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:18 PM

You will suck down MORE GAS!
Limiting your range, Then you will need a bigger tank!

Not that much more. I get around 45 mpg with my rejetted XR. If you want to do serious distance you should be running a Acerbis 5 gallon tank, anyways. :applause:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.