The no spark XR-650L

7 replies to this topic
  • Fishthumper

Posted February 26, 2007 - 09:56 PM

Guys I have a 1999 XR-650L today is the second time i've had a problem with it. the problem started about three weeks ago and now again today. As I was cleaning my wheels getting ready for a trip to baja I squirted some water on the bike but mainly around the rims cleaning all the crud off with simple green, as I went to start it no dice? don't know if anyone has had this problem before if you have can you please explain what the hell is going on? I check for spark and no gusto. I would really hate to be 650 miles south of the border with this kind of drama!! thanks in advance. Steve the Fish-thumper:banghead:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 27, 2007 - 08:45 AM

1st to check- bypass all safeties by attaching both wires that go to the clutch lever switch to ground.

2nd- spark p[lug boot resistor.

3rd- CDI? have you been having it shut down on you, but will restart immedeately, or soon?

Dave

• Fishthumper

Posted February 27, 2007 - 08:25 PM

Today I check the coil to see if it had current going to it and nothing. and I also check the factory run/off switch by un-plugging the two wires red/blk and blk/wht and no luck. just for the hell of it I check the oil level and seen it was half way down and thought maybe it has an oil sensor that kick in. pop a fresh plug on the boot and grounded it on the head to see if I had a spark and no luck? good thing I have a frig full of coors light but even this crap is making me not want to power one down.
oh yeah by passing the clutch wires am i to disco them completly or tie them together?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 28, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Today I check the coil to see if it had current going to it and nothing. and I also check the factory run/off switch by un-plugging the two wires red/blk and blk/wht and no luck. just for the hell of it I check the oil level and seen it was half way down and thought maybe it has an oil sensor that kick in. pop a fresh plug on the boot and grounded it on the head to see if I had a spark and no luck? good thing I have a frig full of coors light but even this crap is making me not want to power one down.
oh yeah by passing the clutch wires am i to disco them completly or tie them together?

Connect them both to ground. Tie together and ground that, or each one sep., no diff.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fishthumper

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:58 PM

[quote name='XR650L_Dave']Connect them both to ground. Tie together and ground that, or each one sep., no diff.

Dave[/QUOTE
I'll give it a try.

• Fishthumper

Posted February 28, 2007 - 08:22 PM

O.k. Dave I just figured this crap out!!!! the shift lever safety switch was out of adjustment by a bit I tried what you told me and no luck, I pulled the kick stand up and pulled the clutch lever in and nothing, so I told me friend what was going on and he told me that he had a similar problem a while ago and he advised me to disco the switch and see if that works, so what i did is just put the tranny in first gear and then switch it back to neutral and it fired right up!! so just to test it I turned the bike off and put my foot down on the shifter as if i was going to shift it and it did not start. all done so thanks for the help. so friggin glad because i almost went to buy a CDI from the dealer for $139 bucks if you ever come to Cali we will go down to Baja. Steve:<

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 01, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Steve, not sure what you just said, but cool that its running!

Dave

• Fishthumper

Posted March 01, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Dave the problem was the shifter safety switch I did not even know it had one but thanks for the help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.