Gold O-ring chain vs. regular gold chain

11 replies to this topic
  • TMAC25

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:11 PM

I have a Renthal gold O ring chain on my 2006 Yz450f, it seems much heavier and like there is more drag then with just a regular gold chain. Do you think a o ring drags that much more or weighs much more then a regular chain? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Comparing a Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain (which is, in fact, what the Renthal R1 is) to a Regina RX-3 non-sealed of the same size, the sealed chain is 4 oz heavier.

As far as drag goes, consider this: only the seals at the points where the chain is rolling onto or off of the sprcokets are ever actually in motion at any one moment. That's a total of 8 8mm O-rings. How much drag do you really think that is?

• twenty34

Posted March 03, 2007 - 09:48 PM

I have a Renthal gold O ring chain on my 2006 Yz450f, it seems much heavier and like there is more drag then with just a regular gold chain. Do you think a o ring drags that much more or weighs much more then a regular chain? Thanks.

I also have the same experience. I just put on a new O-Ring DID to replace the stocker. It feels very resticted and dragged out. Hard to describe, but even with the bike on the stand while spinning the wheel, you can feel/see more drag in comparison to the the stocker. This said, I know how long lasting the O-Rings are supposed to be, however, I'd like to get a chain that offers something a little more free spinning like stock, but offers more durability, like an O-Ring. Is an X-Ring less restrictive or more like an O-Ring? I know they are pricey. Is there something like the stock YZ chain that's more durable that I can purchase?

Anything thoughts would be appeciated.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2007 - 10:10 PM

The DID chains don't rotate as freely as the Reginas on the stand, but on the stand, it doesn't matter, either. Someone please show me a comparison done on a dyno between two top grade sealed chains and any non-sealed chain that documents a significant loss in power with the sealed chain.

As far as durability goes, if you want to spend the time on it, A Regina RX-3 non-sealed will last as long as their sealed chains, but chain maintenance will have to become a major part of your routine.

• twenty34

Posted March 03, 2007 - 11:37 PM

The DID chains don't rotate as freely as the Reginas on the stand, but on the stand, it doesn't matter, either. Someone please show me a comparison done on a dyno between two top grade sealed chains and any non-sealed chain that documents a significant loss in power with the sealed chain.

You may likely be correct, however, perception or otherwise, it sure seems less "free" - the O-Ring in comparison. Maybe some of us are more aware than others or we are just preoccupied with trying minimize any HP loss. Again perception get the mind going. :applause:

As far as durability goes, if you want to spend the time on it, A Regina RX-3 non-sealed will last as long as their sealed chains, but chain maintenance will have to become a major part of your routine.

Ok, thanks for the tip...

• ncmountainman

Posted March 05, 2007 - 08:43 AM

if you run offroad in any kinda mud i'd stick to the o/x rings,i just tried the MX version of the EK x-ring i've been using(tried to save some unsprung wt) and in 2 rides its needed tightening twice;and after a 2 hr practice run on a HS course yesterday its all the way out of adjustment again:thumbsdn:(and everytime it was took off cleaned and oiled;just like the old days!) back to the x for me,way less hassle and well worth whatever it detracts in HP/weight:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:38 AM

I quote figures from Regina here instead of DID because they publish the info. DID either doesn't, or they make it too hard to find.

The difference in the sealed ORN-6 and the non-sealed RX-3 is 3.8 ounces. Only slightly more than half of that weight is unsprung, since the front end is held up by the engine, which is a sprung component.

• 700MX

Posted March 05, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Once the orings heat up while riding.....they do not drag like on the stand

Unless you get free sprokets, or maybe dicing it up with Reed in SX......O ring is the only way to go

• buzzgrizz

Posted March 05, 2007 - 03:25 PM

We run the regina gold o-ring chains and so far have been very pleased with thier performance. You hardly ever have to adjust them.

• LoneRanger171

Posted March 05, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Grayracer - I remember seeing a post before where you buy your regina chains however I can't seem to find it. Thanks - I have a 06 SE and it still has the stock chain and I am looking at either the chain you recommend or the did ert 2 or regina equivalent to the ert 2.

• DPW

Posted March 05, 2007 - 05:50 PM

Grayracer - I remember seeing a post before where you buy your regina chains however I can't seem to find it.

http://shop.thumpert...t.asp?p=673&s=2

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/

• twenty34

Posted March 17, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I'm using the regular gold and like it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.