450 overflow bottle?

5 replies to this topic
  • Toyuki

Posted February 26, 2007 - 01:13 PM

I have an 04 wr450, yesterday when I was riding it it over heated on me a few times! after I washed my bike I noticed that the over flow tank is full, and my radiator is low. my question is do I sifon the coolant out of the overflow back to the radiator?

• WGP

Posted February 26, 2007 - 01:37 PM

I would just pull the hose on the bottom and drain it to the correct level (overflow bottle)
Use fresh coolant straight into the rad to fill.

Ideally you should get your jetting perfect and use engine ice. I haven't overheated once since then:applause:

• GCannon

Posted February 26, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Replace your radiator cap and check the overflow bottle hoses for kinks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted February 26, 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have an 04 wr450, yesterday when I was riding it it over heated on me a few times! after I washed my bike I noticed that the over flow tank is full, and my radiator is low. my question is do I sifon the coolant out of the overflow back to the radiator?

If the fluid is not automatically drawn back into the radiators as the bike cools, then you do not have a sealed coolant system. There's an air leak somewhere that preventing a "vacuum" (low pressure) from forming and drawing the fluid back into the radiators as the engine cools. Look for a leak somewhere.

• Toyuki

Posted February 27, 2007 - 01:19 AM

I dont understand the jetting. I have been riding this bike for two years, now and this is the first time its over heated on me. I did two trips to the dunes last summer, Ive been riding at the same place for a few years now! my left radiator is bent, not bad enough to worry though! how many aftermarket radiator caps are there?

• Ditchdigger

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:20 AM

The air leak scenario sounds like it may be the thing to check first. With regard to the jetting, I think this was mentioned as if your bike is incorrectly jetted i.e. too lean it will run much hotter than it should and hence overheat. Given the amount of time you have ridden the bike it sounds unlikely that this is the problem. Just my opinion.

I'm no mechanic, but can only offer some advice which may relate to this situation. Many years ago I had a Kawasaki GPZ600 which kept overheating and boiling up. after changing the rad cap and checking for leaks I was given some news I really didn't want. That it may be the head gasket. It was leaking, pressurising the coolant system with spent gas’s.

Once the offending item was replaced the problem was sorted. Just a thought, hope it helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.