XR650L Shock Spring Replacement

3 replies to this topic
  • Brad Broadus

Posted February 26, 2007 - 12:57 PM

Has anyone had any experience changing the shock spring on a late model XR650L? My riding buddy has an '07 model and has been told by a mechanic at the dealership that changing the shock spring involves replacing seals and recharging the nitrogen bottle. The dealer wanted $150 to replace the stock spring with one that my buddy bought from Race Tech. We would appreciate any help or advice.

• cleonard

Posted February 26, 2007 - 02:45 PM

The spring is on the outside of the shock. Just a couple of rings to unscrew and replace the spring. Race-tech also makes replacement shock internals. To put one of those in requires shock dissassembly. Then you would need seals, oil, and nitrogen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brad Broadus

Posted February 26, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Thanx, cleonard. That's what I thought. Should be about the same as my DRZ spring replacement.

• mrazekan

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:43 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that the damping rate needs to change with the spring rate. If the spring rate of the new spring is significantly different from the stock spring, the valving that controls the damping should be replaced.

In my case, I went from the stock 10.4 kg/mm spring to a 12.3 kg/mm spring. This higher spring rate would overwhelm the stock valving. Particularly the rebound. I therefore had the shock rebuilt with the right valving.

BTW, I'm 6'3" at 260##

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.