My first experience with custom graphics

22 replies to this topic
  • MSHAM

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Well I wanted to do it so I did. Here are my thoughts:
1. The side panels were a pain in the but. I was not able to get them to go on flat due to the convex shape of the panels. This was my first time applying graphics and with some experience it may be possible!
3. They were expensive and I may just pull off the side covers and air box decals.
4. I thought the turnaround time to get the decals was too long from the start of the project. 4-5 weeks!
5. I don't need numbers and should have left those off. They were incuded in the price. I may try a race this summer, but I would have been happy with electrical tape numbers for that.
6. the fork decals don't look rite. They could have been designed with the blue to the outside of the fork guard.
I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go and throw thye bike down a couple times to ruin them!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• lowry

Posted February 26, 2007 - 11:09 AM

I think it looks pretty good actually. Were did you get the graphics?

• BuckHopkins

Posted February 26, 2007 - 11:12 AM

i think it looks good!

• CSS9961

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:01 PM

I like everything but the swingarm. Sometimes the bubbles and wrinkles will work themselves out in a few warm days. Whatever is left, you can poke with a pin and flatten out. I would not put graphics on in cold weather, but that may just be me.

I put a white numberplate graphic on the back of a red sportbike. I was trying to make it look more like a Ducati 996. I took my time and used lots of water to keep everything 'adjustable'. I took a lot of time to get as many bubbles out as i could. There were still a few left, and I was not happy with my results. I walked away disappointed. I went back to the garage a few days later, and most of the bubbles were gone. I just had one that I popped and got it to lay down. You couldn't see where I had poked it. And it would matter even less on a dirtbike.

• byggd

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:19 AM

Looks good! They are kind of a pain to work with as I found out when applying some a couple of weeks ago. I think mine came out pretty good, for an amateur.
http://s18.photobuck...nt=Vapor007.jpg

• MSHAM

Posted February 27, 2007 - 07:33 AM

I actually pulled the bike in the house and turned the thermostat up to 72. Believe me, it was plenty warm. I was sweating. I'm not sure if it was heat though. Thanks guys!

Posted February 27, 2007 - 09:08 AM

Your bike looks awesome dude - sweet color scheme...

• ftl900

Posted February 27, 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hey, it looks great!! :applause:

• GCannon

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:36 AM

BYGGD your bike looks great all shiny and new. What happened to the all black look?

• CSS9961

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:23 AM

I actually pulled the bike in the house and turned the thermostat up to 72. Believe me, it was plenty warm. I was sweating. I'm not sure if it was heat though. Thanks guys!

I did mine during the summer. It was probably over a hundred degrees in my garage for three days.

If you get some sunny warm days, and you can let it sit out securely, that may still help. Could be some time until the weather cooperates, depending on where you are. Not sure if it would help once that much time has passed or not. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MSHAM

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Never went all black.I had to replace the radiator shrouds and front fender due to some get-offs in Rocky mountain rocks.(that can tear up plastic quick in this part of the country.) Went white, the Black and Blue looks to Batman Comic for me. The Graphics were a result of really not liking whats out there and nothing is designed for the white scheme. Hence the blue and white Doug Henry retro rip off scheme. Henry is one of my all time favorites.

• MSHAM

Posted February 27, 2007 - 12:48 PM

I got these from Steve at SCR graphics. So far, So Good!
http://www.scrgraphics.com/index.html

• byggd

Posted February 27, 2007 - 01:52 PM

BYGGD your bike looks great all shiny and new. What happened to the all black look?

Well........ I scratched up a side cover on an unexpected get off and then the BD kit headlamp and rear fender are both blue of i figured what the heck :applause:

I also added another toy. I figure if I'm ridding on the street I better know how fast I'm going.....givin the attitude of the Corona PD!
http://s18.photobuck...nt=Vapor006.jpg

• GCannon

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:04 PM

byggd Very Nice! nice clean mounting I bet your a button pushing fiend.
Is that a key switch on the right?

• byggd

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:39 PM

byggd Very Nice! nice clean mounting I bet your a button pushing fiend.
Is that a key switch on the right?

Good eye, it sure is! I had it right up next to the stock odometer but I had to move it when mounting the vapor.

• yamahahahahaha

Posted February 27, 2007 - 06:10 PM

That looks awesome man. Good job!!!

• Lava

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:27 AM

MSHAM, your bike looks very sweet indeed mate!
I think white head light would look better than the stock blue one if you are thinking of upgrading. :applause:

A good trick with putting the graphics on is to spray the plastics with soapy water first that way the graphic can be easily repositioned if you put it down in the wrong spot. The only thing to watch is that it takes a bit longer for the glue to set properly but you never get those stubborn bubbles. It's just the same method as applying vinyl graphics to a car. :applause:

• MSHAM

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:34 AM

MSHAM, your bike looks very sweet indeed mate!
I think white head light would look better than the stock blue one if you are thinking of upgrading. :applause:

A good trick with putting the graphics on is to spray the plastics with soapy water first that way the graphic can be easily repositioned if you put it down in the wrong spot. The only thing to watch is that it takes a bit longer for the glue to set properly but you never get those stubborn bubbles. It's just the same method as applying vinyl graphics to a car. :applause:

I also was thinking white headlight. I will try to smash this one first!:lol: What kind of soap? and what concentration?

• Bamster

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:52 AM

Looks pretty good.
A little trick I use for appying graphics is to mix a small amount of dish soap with water a put in a spray bottle (you can use windex also).
Spray the area you are appying sticker to .
Place peeled sticker over th area .
Squigie out the excess soapy water.
Leave dry overnight.
You never get bubbles and can slide the sticker around for better placment.

• CSS9961

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:35 PM

I think even straight water will work. I did a TV commercial for some guys that put on that clear auto mask stuff. They used a mix of water and alcohol, so that it would actually evaporate faster.

Pesonally, I did use water and a squeegy and still got bubbles, but they went away, as I stated earlier.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.