xr250 oil cooler install on my xr600r

15 replies to this topic
  • mikyrc

Posted February 26, 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi guys! First of all forgive my english, it's not my language.

I recently finished the oil cooler installation. It took me a lot of time because i spent a lot of time looking for the parts and how to do it cheap and easy.

Finally i thought that using A/C piping would be the easyest and cheapest way.
So i got some stuf and some gas hose and went for it.

I made somebody weld a pair of nuts on the frame to hold the cooler and i build a bracket bolted on the front of the frame to hold the front side of the cooler.

Then i had to hack the stock oil return pipe, cutting it and reusing the nut, as finding a compatible nut is almost impossible here.

I got two banjo bolts and made somebody weld the A/C pipe on one of them.
I bent the piping using a special tool (a special spring). And cut the hose to proper lenght.

I also used some 90 degree elbows welded (tin welding) and some piping for the 180degree part bolted on the frame.

Here go some pics, you'll understand better.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The bike is going very well. I had to add like 1/4 liter more of oil, i thought it wouldn't need that much.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Miky.

• creeky

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:23 AM

Great job! :applause:

• MartinDKtm

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:53 AM

Nice. I plan to do something similar too. But with some bonus. You will know it when its gonna be done.

Martin

• mikyrc

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Thanks to both.:applause:

• MartinDKtm

Posted March 01, 2007 - 05:37 PM

My idea is to mig weld some small precut steel plate on the frame. maybe 1/8" to 1/16" thick at a distance of 1/8" from one to the other. So that the frame part that contain oil will have finns on it and be transformed into a natural built in oil cooler. But i will need to repaint the frame after. Sound like a good idea that I had...What you guy's think?

Martin

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted March 01, 2007 - 06:48 PM

I have one of the SRC cooler mount brackets so you don't have to weld to the frame if anyone is interested.

Posted Image

• thouk

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:18 PM

Jeff,
Private message sent to you, Tony

• barstowblues

Posted April 25, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Great job on that oil cooler installation. What kind of reduction in oil temp have you seen since you installed this oil cooler? Reason why I was asking is I want to put a oil cooler on my xr650L and I just happen to have a xr250 oil cooler sitting around in my garage. I was going to up grade to a larger xr400 oil cooler but if this xr250 cooler will work I can save some dough.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikyrc

Posted April 25, 2009 - 03:17 PM

I can't tell You how much did it help as I installed the temp gauge at the same time I did the cooler. So sorry, I can't help You much here.
But driving on regular roads I get oil temps between 85-95ºC (185-203ºF)

• Denn10

Posted April 25, 2009 - 03:30 PM

i have a cooler from a xr250 also in the garage, never isnstalled though

• Onederer

Posted April 26, 2009 - 06:20 AM

I can't tell You how much did it help as I installed the temp gauge at the same time I did the cooler. So sorry, I can't help You much here.
But driving on regular roads I get oil temps between 85-95ºC (185-203ºF)

How cool is that, you replied to recent question on a post of yours over two years old, quickly!

• barstowblues

Posted April 26, 2009 - 10:45 AM

It sounds like your 250xr cooler is doing its job. I just purchased a temp dipstick from XR's only. I will post the results of before and after once I get the cooler installed. Thanks for your help.

• The DEUCE

Posted November 28, 2013 - 07:13 AM

It sounds like your 250xr cooler is doing its job. I just purchased a temp dipstick from XR's only. I will post the results of before and after once I get the cooler installed. Thanks for your help.

Did you ever get your oil cooler installed? what was the difference in temperature?

I know this post is 4 1/2 years old but what the hell, maybe barstowblues will get an email and anwer back (crossing fingers)

• dochawken

Posted November 28, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Damn nice job, thoughtful...clean...like it

• Blackrubberducky

Posted December 02, 2013 - 09:42 AM

What are the benefits of having a oil cooler? I know cooler temps = stronger engine. But can you feel a immediate difference?

• notoriousE-R-I-C

Posted December 02, 2013 - 10:35 AM

When i moved my Lockhart oil cooler from ziptied to the frame above the headers, to mounted in front on the lower triple, ive seen up to 100°f cooler than my hottest freeway temp. I stay at 200 now and only saw 220 once in downtown LA traffic.
Im super pro oil cooler.
EZ

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.