Yamaha wr450 regulator/rectifier testing

6 replies to this topic
  • yamahahahahaha

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:55 PM

Can anyone tell me how to connect a multimeter in order to test the Voltage regulator/rectifier on my WR450?

Problem I have is that the bulbs constantly blow when I increase the idle.

• CRF45OX

Posted February 27, 2007 - 02:43 AM

shes ****ed, i had the same problem, i bought a new one from oem thumpertalk (heaps cheaper than locally) and havent had a problem since.

if you want to check - where your light plugs in - put the 2 meter leads across the 2 terminals and set it to ac volts (when u rev it, it will probably say about 28V and it should only be 12 - 14V. Remember.... AC not DC!

good luck mate

• yamahahahahaha

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. Shes definitely gooone. MM reading of 27v.

Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted February 28, 2007 - 12:53 PM

I replaced mine with a Baja designs. I think my stock reg. is in a box in the garage. PM me and I'll look for it, if you want it!

• ausgeflippt13

Posted February 28, 2007 - 02:52 PM

It's not ever the rectifier's fault (well, never say never...); it's almost always the fault of a bad ground. Regulator/rectifiers need a FANTASTIC ground in order to function well, and without it the current will pass thru the system unperturbed by the reg/rec.

I had my reg ground to the same place as my lights (underneath the seat on the frame) and after blowing a bulb upon testing, I realized the ground wasn't going to do. So, I moved it to a motor mount (for JUST the reg, nothing else should go there) and everything has worked peachy since. I had a choice of two reg's: the Yami brand one at $60 or the generic one used for Harleys (tells you something about harleys :applause: ) for a mere $12 or so.

It's all about grounding! :applause:

• yamahahahahaha

Posted March 08, 2007 - 03:23 PM

Replaced the reg the other day and shes running sweet. I hear that the wr450regs can be a bit dodgy so I ll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all help

• AMG_Eric

Posted March 10, 2007 - 10:56 PM

baja designs replaced mine with a ktm one. no problems since. the yamaha ones are know to SUCK.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.