Bugger To Start After Sitting Several Months- Normal?

6 replies to this topic
  • yz_for_me

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:23 PM

So today I decided to fire up the ol 426 after a few months rest. Sounds easy enough right? Well, several hours later I finally got er lit.:applause: Is this normal after storing a bike for a while? The reason I ask is I've had this same experience a couple times now with my 426. Once I get it started that first time it starts no problem there after as long as I ride it fairly often. Once it sits for a few months though, it's a bear to get going again.

Before you answer, let me give you the details on what I did to get her going. I tried kicking it a few times just to see if by chance it would start, but when it didn't show any signs of life, I figured I wouldn't waste any more time without cleaning the carb. I had forgotten to drain the carb the last time I rode it so I pretty much expected I would have to clean it. I replaced the plug with a new one, drained the old gas out of the tank and put in new. After that, it took a LOT of kicking to finally get it started. Once it started it ran well and seemed to start again no problem.

Does this seem normal to you guys? Thanks.

• King_Air

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:27 AM

It seems normal to me. My 426 doesn't like to sit for long without running either.

• ericyzf4

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:54 AM

It sounds like maybe you left the fuel on (petcock open).
After a ride, even if your bike is going to be sitting for a day, before shutting the bike down, turn the fuel off and run it until it dies. Then if it is going to be sitting for a week or so drain the float bowl. These few extra minutes wil save you alot of kicking the next time you go to start your bike. Also, mix sta-bil with your gas. It will slow down the breakdown of the fuel.
Modern fuels have a lot of additives, detergents, etc. When fuel sits, the gas evaporates and leaves behind all the other junk, plugging your jets, gumming up the works. On your dirt bike it is gravity fed from the tank. When you leave the fuel on there is a constant trickle of gas to the carb, more fuel evaporating, more 'tar' left in the carb.

E---

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:18 AM

I can see why leaving the gas in the carb makes it hard to start, but why would it be hard to start even after giving the carb a good thorough cleaning? Is it just nearly impossible to clean all the deposits in all the orifices and carb circuits?

Also, does the fact that all the oil has drained down play a role?

• skwerlee

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:28 AM

seems to me the easiest solution to your problem is to go out and fire her up every couple of weeks like I do...

• ericyzf4

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:37 PM

I can see why leaving the gas in the carb makes it hard to start, but why would it be hard to start even after giving the carb a good thorough cleaning? Is it just nearly impossible to clean all the deposits in all the orifices and carb circuits?

Also, does the fact that all the oil has drained down play a role?

If you tried to start it when it was cold out it was probably running lean.

• dirtflea

Posted February 26, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Add "Seafoam" to your fuel before parking it for a long period. Mix it in the tank and then ride it enough to make sure the mix is in the carb. Turn your fuel off and run it out. Then, pull your plug, and spray a little into the cylinder. The next time you go to start it, it will fire right up. I winterize all my bikes, jetski's, chain saws, and other small engines. The stuff works great. I also spray down my bike with it as a rust inhibitor, and to help keep the mud from sticking so bad. It comes in liquid and spray cans.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.