Help Please!

5 replies to this topic
  • Dart 400F

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hello all. I have a 99' 400F and I am very new to the 4 stroke scene. My problem is this. Last year when I would ride, it would cough and choke through the really heavy ridding but while cruising it seemed to run fine. Not sure if this is a jetting problem or a valve problem. When exiting a turn it doesn't want to run unless I keep the throttle up in the midrange (bogs at low RPM). The spitting and rough running previously mentioned would mainly happen while running through a long section of whoops or over rough terrain. Since purchasing I have installed a Boyseen Quickshot accl. pump cover, and I have put on an FMF titanium High Flo header paired with a Powercore IV exhaust. Could the problem be as simple as too much fuel caused by a sticky float in the carb? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

• 642MX

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:30 PM

I would start by removing and cleaning the carb.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:13 AM

yea i agree start by cleaning ure carb and adjust ure fuel screw if that dont help by a jd jet kit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ericyzf4

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:26 AM

I had a '99 400 and a had the same problems. I started by cleaning the carb. This helped but did not cure the problem. I then went richer with the jetting, I have sold the bike and gave my notes to the guy who bought it, and do not remember the exact jetting I used. I would suggest using a JD jet kit. If your turn up the idle to keep it running, you are only covering up a jetting problem.

I also used an 8 oz heavier than stock flywheel. This gave it more tractible power when trail riding, or on hard packed MX tracks.

If you are new to working on four strokes, maybe take it to a shop. But if you feel you can do it, go for it. If you take your time and pay attention to detail it is not that hard. DO NOT use wires or anything to poke through the jets. Use carb cleaner and compressed air.

Some other mods I did to my 99 include:
02 YZ426F subframe. Bolts on and is about 3 pounds lighter than stock.
03 YZ450F radiatiors. Bolted on and are beefier and keep it cooler running
than stock (had to use 01 or 02 426 shrouds)
Braided front brake line.
power now

• Dart 400F

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the info, I have no time so I guess I will be paying someones car payment on this one. One other thing guys, Are there any tell tale signs that your valves need Adjustment (shims)? I would really hate to have one come through the top end.

• 1rkcooper

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Hard to start is the tell tale sign that your valves need adjusting. And it's a real B$#CH when a valve lets go $$$$$$$$$$.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.