little help here... starting the dam bike

21 replies to this topic
  • black in RI

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:42 PM

so i bought a xr650 2000 last week. its sat at my garage since last monday.(FDA was at work crazy hours etc)

anway.. i never owned a dirtbike before.. much less used a kickstart.

hints ideas... please..
it's about 45 degreet in RI.

is there a fool proof way to turn it over each and every time. i want to do it right the first time and not screw something up

anyhelp is appreciated.

• Hondathumper450

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:58 PM

It is a XR650R! Kick it over slowly till you feel Compression, let the kickstarter all the way up and give it a MAN Kick. I had a hard time starting mine. took forever. I changed the plug which helped tremendously but if I give it a sissy kick you can forget it. I find if I find TDC and give it a serious MAN Kick she will fire in 3 to 4 kicks when cold and 1 to 2 when warm now. It is a XR650R. A beast of a bike! Kick it hard and she will behave!!!!!
Kick it like a sissy and it will laugh at you and call you SISSY!

• focallength

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:59 PM

It can be tricky to learn especially a 4 stroke. If its cold choke the bike first and make sure the gas is on.

1: hold the compression release lever in and at the same time slowly kick the bike until you are in TDC ( usually about 2-3 kicks) note dont kick to start the bike you are just setting TDC. you will know when you are at TDC because you will feel it when you are kicking the bike.

2: release the compression lever, take your hand away from the throttle (this is so you dont accidentally give it throttle while trying to start the bike)
now basically start with the kicker at the top you are going to want a FULL cycle, if your not tall enough to kick all the way through find a rock or something to balance on (dont use the kick stand it could break). Start at the top and kick firmly and evenly all the way to the bottom. You may need to do this 1-3 times

if the bike dosent start after about 4 kicks reset to TDC(step1) and try again.
be carefull of flooding the carb. If you try the entire process abut 3-4 times give the bike a few minutes to vent the excess gas. then go through the steps again.

Like I said if its your first 4 stroke it can take a bit to get used to but youll be starting it in 1 kick soon enough.

Just remember get TDC and then you want a FULL stroke on the kick. you dont need to do a bunch of fast kicks its not a 2 stroke. Start at the top and give it a good kick all the way through.

I once took about an hour to start my bike when it was dead cold but then again I only had it for about 2 days. Now no matter what 2-3 kicks tops.

good luck:thumbsup:

• focallength

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:02 PM

oh and be careful with the kick more than once my foot slipped off the damn kickstarter and scrapped the living snot out of my shin, yes it hurt and yes it pisses you off. Make sure have good contact with the kickstarter. If your wearin shoes with no tread or wet soles this is what will happen when your foot slips off :cry: :cry: :lol: :applause: :applause: pretty much in that order.

Its best to have the kick starter in the center of your foot.

• Hondathumper450

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:02 PM

Oh and welcome to the last bike you will ever own!

• Hondathumper450

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:04 PM

LOL! Yes I do know what you mean. I still have a big scab on my shin from slipping. Have you done the hop around one foot slipped off the starter dance yet?

• black in RI

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:12 PM

cool thanks.. i'l try tomorrow as it s dark now and colder..
i have high hopes for this bike i really do i'm alreayd lovignit just looking at it..

PS whats TDC???

• Rippn450

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Do you know if it has stock jetting or if it has been uncorked? If it hasn't been uncorked do that and rejet accordingly and it will start like a big xr 80.

• tbrown86

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Top Dead Center for the piston.

• rebelventurer

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:44 PM

Welcome to TT back in RI! This is a serious piece of equipment, and for a first bike, maybe a bit too serious! First you should have gotten whoever you bought it from to show you how to start it, especially when the motor is cold. Second for your sake I hope the bike is all stock and still corked. Third and finally make sure your health and life insurance is up to date and all paid up. A bit of carelessness, or wide open throttle can seriously hurt you, then it will be the last bike you ever own. Take it easy and learn the bike and your abilities you will find it a world of fun, and if maintained the bike will last a long, long time. Did not mean to be harsh in my advise and no insult intended, just a bit of caution and restraint will go a long way. Take care, and good luck with the bike. The preceeding responses are good advise for starting proceedures. get used to it, get comfortable on it then the uncorking may begin (modifications to make it run like it was meant to) :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black in RI

Posted February 25, 2007 - 05:53 PM

no worries // i've been ridign sprotbikes for a while( 8 years ) sold the zx6r a little bit a go... go the xr cause my uddys drz 400 sm was nice but i needed something more for the highway riding..
I bought it off ebay( no xrs here in RI, searched for 4 months) from Ohio for 2500$ as wel as beign dual sported too
Its been jetted and also uncorked with the honda, not hrc power up kit.

• porterdog

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:22 AM

No one so far has mentioned the idle speed adjuster, which may well be about to become your new best friend....

When sitting on the bike you'll find a little knob at the left front corner of the carb. You want to turn this clockwise 1.5-2 turns before trying to start.

If it's cold, use the choke to start.

TDC is the point where you cannot easily push the kickstarter any more because the engine is too hard to turn; use the compression release (small lever near the clutch) to get past this point and then return the kickstarter to the top of it's travel before delivering your man-kick.

Once it fires, let it run on choke for mebbe 30 seconds, then go to half-choke. Another 30-60 seconds, no choke. Another minute, turn the idle speed back down.

• Hondathumper450

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:24 AM

I will agree with the idle adjustment. Although mine was set way to low when I got it I have it set now where it is a nice easy idle and when I start cold now I don't have to touch it. You will find the BIKES method of starting as they all will have their own temperment. Some say after TDC and some say before TDC when you first kick it over. Mine likes it before or at TDC when I give it the MAN Kick. Before I would kick for 15 to 30 minutes or so if not more to get that first fire then a few more kicks to keep it running. Try different styles of starting keeping mental note of each method till you find what the BIKE likes. Would not be a bad idea to take the carb apart to find out exactly what jets are in their so you know. I asked the previous owner what jets were in their first off so I can keep record of it. The original owner told me the best way to kick over my bike once I took over ownersip. Gas on, Choke on, kick over slowly till i feel the compression start building, raise the kick starter all the way up and give it a good hard kick. I do this about 3 or 4 times and she starts up even in the coldest weather. It is correct though as soon as she starts and runs let her run about 30 seconds on full choke then go to the middle blipping the throttle a few times. another minute put it to full open choke and let her warm up. Do not let it run on full choke too long or it will foul the plug which it use to do before I got a NGK Iridium spark plug and now no more worries. I am seriously waiting for this blasted weather to make up it's mind so I can do soem real trail riding instead of here and there riding in between Ice and Snow Storms

• XRJunkie

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Here's the drill I was taught by another local BRP owner and it's not failed me yet:

1. Choke on but no touching the throttle.
2. Rotate kickstart until you find TDC-STOP
3. Squeeze decompression lever while rotating kickstart about 20% of it's range-STOP
4. Bring kickstart back to top.
5. Give it a solid kick.

This has given me 100% 1-3 kick starts from about 35F to 75F. Stock, uncorked bike (for now). Can't say it will work for everyone, but sure works great for me.

With a 32" inseam I also find it handy to have the bike leaned on the side stand. Felt weird at first, but totally normal now. Plus you learn to look for flat rocks as you stop... :applause:

• focallength

Posted February 26, 2007 - 11:21 AM

My 96 xr600 with all kinds of goodies was my first bike too, you will have no problem it can be fairly tame if you respect it. As far as messing with the carb/idle I would try just starting it normally, if the carb is ok and the idle set fairly resonably you should have little trouble starting it. I never touch my idle and I have no problems going from below sea level to 6k above it in the same ride. But you may need to check it as others have stated, I just wouldnt start messing with it if you dont need to, Just my .02.

• creeky

Posted February 26, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Here's the drill I was taught by another local BRP owner and it's not failed me yet:

3. Squeeze decompression lever while rotating kickstart about 20% of it's range-STOP
5. Give it a solid kick.

This has given me 100% 1-3 kick starts from about 35F to 75F. Stock, uncorked bike (for now). Can't say it will work for everyone, but sure works great for me.

With a 32" inseam I also find it handy to have the bike leaned on the side stand. Felt weird at first, but totally normal now. Plus you learn to look for flat rocks as you stop... :applause:

This is EXACTLY how I've been starting my XRs for years except I also turn the idle up a tad when starting cold.

• BIGGITY

Posted February 26, 2007 - 03:22 PM

5. Give it a solid kick.

Yup! Starts everytime 1-3 kicks. :applause:

• dezracerE

Posted February 27, 2007 - 04:16 PM

5. Give it a solid kick.

This is the exact way I fire mine. (and prior xr's I have owned)
Mine is uncorked also and fires in 1 or 2 kicks almost every time.
Just off TDC seems to be the key.
Use the sidestand for leverage and whack-it.

• Hondathumper450

Posted March 01, 2007 - 03:03 PM

I tried the above procedure for the heck of it and I'll be it started first kick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh and I use the kick stand but do the above. find TDC, pull the decomp lever, push the kickstarter 20% or so, raise the kick starter all the way up, give it a good hard kick and holy cow! it started first kick COLD!
YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• black in RI

Posted March 05, 2007 - 04:16 PM

welli fianlly got to starting her tonight... ( fda was here fow awhile at work and i'm just gettignover the flu today..)
went out ...
1... put on ful choke( it's 30degrees here)
2 gas on
3 pull in dcp lever and give 4 kicks( easy ones)
till i hit HDC.
theni gave it some kicks3- 4 tops..
repeat

i went thru 4 cycles of this at least then one of the "easy kick" settign HDC i hear a loud pop?
gave it a few kicks and it started to turn gave it a little throttl and it was going.... after that iw as ready to pass out... i stil got the flu..
at leas ti know i can start the bike now.. : )

now all i got to do is clean the carbs... and put a new spark plug in and oill..

any suggestions??

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.