Space above Skid Plate on '07 WR450?

6 replies to this topic
  • jams229

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:13 PM

I am noticing that in a lot of pictures of this bike, there is a triangular section
above the skid plate that fills in this gap between the frame and the plate. On my bike, however, there is no such section... !?
Is this piece missing?
Is it a stock piece, or do I need to buy it?
(Where can I buy it?)
Without this piece, the bottom of my skid plate fills up quickly with mud, rocks
and everything else. It seems as though Yamaha would not leave this
section out for any reason.
Thanks!

• resinlips

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:33 PM

I hav'nt seen the gap filled on any bikes. Think it's open like that on all of them. What a mud bucket! I drilled five 1.5 inch holes in the bottom of mine to let mud out. Seems to have worked well so far, till a big A$$ rock hits the wrong spot!

• SXP

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:27 PM

I am noticing that in a lot of pictures of this bike, there is a triangular section
above the skid plate that fills in this gap between the frame and the plate. On my bike, however, there is no such section... !?
Is this piece missing?
Is it a stock piece, or do I need to buy it?
(Where can I buy it?)
Without this piece, the bottom of my skid plate fills up quickly with mud, rocks
and everything else. It seems as though Yamaha would not leave this
section out for any reason.
Thanks!

The after-market skidplate by Utah Cycle (that I have on my bike) fills in that gap. You have probably been looking at pics of bikes with after markrt skid plates.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jams229

Posted February 25, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I went to Yamaha's website and realized that it is the WR250 that has this piece that fills the triangular void. Curious why the 450 does not have it.
I filled the gap in mine with some foam. Works fine for now in keeping
the dirt and mud out, but this plastic skid plate will definitely not last very long...

• msgbean

Posted February 25, 2007 - 07:03 PM

I went to Yamaha's website and realized that it is the WR250 that has this piece that fills the triangular void. Curious why the 450 does not have it.
I filled the gap in mine with some foam. Works fine for now in keeping
the dirt and mud out, but this plastic skid plate will definitely not last very long...

The 250 has it because it has an external oil tank and that is the top of it with a mouning bolt filling that space. I also filled the spot with foam and it works great.

• trikeflyer

Posted February 26, 2007 - 11:14 AM

I would not fill the gap with foam . unless you want to make the bike run even hotter, drill it

• Dakke

Posted February 26, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hello,
i'have also the problem all thedirt was in to the skid plate , i solved as followed , i placed a alu grill on the skid plate , look at the pictures , it works great and no problem for the engine cooling,

Grtz
Posted Image
Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.