07 WR 450 tank issues

22 replies to this topic
  • moki01

Posted February 25, 2007 - 01:15 PM

A few weeks back I posted a question about my 07 WR's fuel tank, breather house constantly leaks fuel. I switched the one way valve (several times), switched gas caps(3 different caps) and still have fuel leaking either from the the end of the vent hose or where the hose hooks into the gas cap. It does not matter how much fuel, as soon as the trail gets bumpy out comes the gas. I'm not sure if it's a pressure thing or what.
Any suggestions?

• simon@vic

Posted February 26, 2007 - 12:07 AM

stop falling over 10 feet from your truck with a full tank?

• Paradiddle

Posted February 26, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Moki,

Mine too...I even tried switching to one of the aluminum vent units; no joy.

I'll let you know if I find anything....

Lynn

• moki01

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Thanks, I will do the same.

• SuperSportTruck

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:04 AM

is there a larger capacity tank available yet for the 07 wr ?? Maybe a different tank design would help. I am in the market for this bike some I am trying to figure out what to expect

• Edrow

Posted February 27, 2007 - 12:01 PM

I have had np problem with mine. Are you sure the in-line vent is going the right direction? It's marked in tiny print on the plastic valve.

• 40plusmxr

Posted February 27, 2007 - 12:12 PM

I have put several tanks of gas through my bike with no leaks. If the in-line vent is ok, you may have a pin hole or crack in the line itself. I see you changed caps so that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Good luck...

• SXP

Posted February 27, 2007 - 12:23 PM

is there a larger capacity tank available yet for the 07 wr ?? Maybe a different tank design would help. I am in the market for this bike some I am trying to figure out what to expect

IMS 3.1, but you will need 06/07 YZ shrouds with it. It's what I currently use.

• SuperSportTruck

Posted February 27, 2007 - 03:29 PM

IMS 3.1, but you will need 06/07 YZ shrouds with it. It's what I currently use.

Thanks I will look into that..:applause:

• esbotto

Posted March 13, 2007 - 03:05 PM

My tank started doing the same thing. Did you ever find a cure?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chooch68

Posted March 13, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Mine does the same thing. So I stopped filling all the way to the top. About 2 in. down from the rim. Maybe some kind of baffle would do it or that tank foam.

• Paradiddle

Posted March 27, 2007 - 09:56 AM

:bonk: Fixed!!

Took cap apart, and installed a small piece of air-filter foam inside the vent cap. I positioned the foam to block the vent hole, preventing a direct injection of fuel-splash, yet it still breathes for proper venting! The foam is trapped inside the vent cap, so it can't fall out.

Lynn

• Looks450

Posted March 28, 2007 - 02:34 AM

:bonk: Fixed!!

Took cap apart, and installed a small piece of air-filter foam inside the vent cap. I positioned the foam to block the vent hole, preventing a direct injection of fuel-splash, yet it still breathes for proper venting! The foam is trapped inside the vent cap, so it can't fall out.

Lynn

Nice. Any chance of a pic. You know the whole pic paints a thousand words thing.

• gregwr450f

Posted March 29, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Wonder if the foam will break down with the fuel and be sucked into the motor

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I have not experienced any fuel leakage at all...yet. I fill the tank up to the bottom of the neck...no leakage.

Hhhmmm...I'll keep an eye on it.

-Jay

• Paradiddle

Posted March 29, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Air filter foam is compatible with gasoline, and other solvents...that's why I chose it.

• gregwr450f

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Air filter foam is compatible with gasoline, and other solvents...that's why I chose it.

Then why do some people say, "don't wash your filters in fuel"
(I do wash mine in fuel)

• mxcowboy

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Then why do some people say, "don't wash your filters in fuel"
(I do wash mine in fuel)

Because gas will break down the glue that holds it together.
I wash with gas that's why they sell air filters.

• gregwr450f

Posted March 29, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Because gas will break down the glue that holds it together.
I wash with gas that's why they sell air filters.

Fair call.

• Paradiddle

Posted March 29, 2007 - 05:00 PM

Gasoline is highly flammable (and very dangerous to use as a cleaner!), while some solvents designed for cleaning are not highly flammable.

Don't burn up...it's happened to people I know (garage caught fire).

Use Twin-Air Bio Oil and cleaner (non-flammable), or No-Toil, or similar product.

Lynn

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.