Touble getting XR650R to idle

10 replies to this topic
  • NMike

Posted February 24, 2007 - 04:06 PM

the bike had been sitting for a few years. and yes i foregot to remove the old gas.:applause:

so i took off the carb. cleaned it out as best as i could. blew air through all the holes, installed 175 and #68 jets. needle is on the fourth from top groove.

i can start it but the idle has to be very high. i can turn it down. after a few seconds it'll just stall out.starts right away, then stalls when the idle is not on high speed.

did i do the floats right?

Posted Image

as a side note. where do i route this hose on the bike?

Posted Image

• Big Red Paul

Posted February 24, 2007 - 04:29 PM

The fuel line or the fuel filter in the tank might be blocked, and the carb can't suck enough fuel through. The bike has been standing for a while, so this might be the problem.

• NMike

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:10 PM

well i replaced the fuel lines from the tank. it is a acerbis 6 gallon model.

has lots of power, runs good except for idling.

PS the bike is uncorked if that matters.

• porterdog

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Sounds like a sticky float to me, too.

On my carb the hose in question loops up and over at the front of the carb and then back down behind. The end doesn't seem to go anywhere critical, and it's just open.

• Thumpage

Posted February 26, 2007 - 04:24 AM

You might have an air leak at the carb isolator boot between the carb and cylinder. Make sure the boot and clamp are in good shape and have good seal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • abby

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:24 AM

That hose you have a pointer on goes straight up from the carb into that rubber thingie directly above the carb on the frame and the hole faces backwards (towards the rider).

• NMike

Posted February 27, 2007 - 11:01 PM

thanks, i'll get a new float and needle. see if that helps.

• Kawabuggy

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I agree with the vacuum leak scenario. An engine that will only run at a high idle is most likely suffering from an engine air/vacuum leak. As mentioned above, check for air leaks!

• HawkGT

Posted February 28, 2007 - 08:27 AM

Where's your fuel screw set (how many turns out)? Around 2 turns out would be "normal".

• roadrunner81

Posted February 28, 2007 - 08:46 AM

pilot jet is plugged

• NMike

Posted February 28, 2007 - 09:15 PM

pilot jet is new and i blew through the passage.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.