XR650L hard to start after sitting for a while.

9 replies to this topic
  • DigDug

Posted February 24, 2007 - 12:44 PM

1995 XR650L, Dave's mods, K&N filter, 12000 miles, maintained religously - everything is in spec (valves, clean plug, etc).

Here's the problem I've been facing:

90% of the time, it fires right up and runs great (although it will stall a little bit when cold - if I don't let it warm up) - However, if I let it sit for a week or so, it'll start right up and stall out after a few seconds. Then it's a bear to get started again (usually involves running the starter for a minute or two - on and off of course) - but once it does, it runs great and will until I let it sit for a week again.

It seems to have done it since I did the carb mod's about a year and a half ago. At least I don't remember any problems before that. I've checked the carb adjustment and cleanliness. Like I said above - the valves are in spec and the plug is clean (it may be just a tad rich on the main jet according to my plug readings - but nothing extreme).

Anyone had a similar problem or any ideas where else I should look for the problem?

I guess it could be just her way of telling me I need to ride more than once a week :applause:

• EddieTNT

Posted February 24, 2007 - 03:40 PM

My R does the same thing if it sits for more than a month. It feels like it has low compression. My theory is that the oil drains off of the cylinder walls/rings and then the seal there is poor. The compression is within specs if the bike has not been sitting. I need to put the compression tester on it after it has sat and the compression feels low just for giggles. :applause:

• lhark

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:48 AM

My 650L gets this way, especially when it sits off season for several months.
I crack the float bowl drain, get fresh fuel in the carb, and it pops right off.
I just did it this past week, when we got a warm enough day to go for a quick run.
It might be worth a try, before you start thinking about upper end rebuilds.
Good luck.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:32 AM

ive got a 94 XR250L....if its ridden every couple days it will start up and run so nice!!! but after a month or two its severly cold blooded...

In my expirence with the 3 XR's ive owned is that they like to be ridden!

• EddieTNT

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:49 PM

My ex had an XR250. Her bike behaved exactly the same way as my 650. Her bike was eadier to kick though! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted February 26, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Double on the carb-bowl drain.

Drain the bowl down before opening the petcock.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted February 26, 2007 - 01:01 PM

My R does the same thing if it sits for more than a month. It feels like it has low compression. My theory is that the oil drains off of the cylinder walls/rings and then the seal there is poor. The compression is within specs if the bike has not been sitting. I need to put the compression tester on it after it has sat and the compression feels low just for giggles. :applause:

Yes, this can really be a factor. I have a XR600R so I feel the compression when starting. I'm 100% sure that this happenes to my bike.

• platterdr

Posted February 26, 2007 - 03:50 PM

The best way to cure these problems. Ride the DAMN:foul: bike. Just kidding it's hard for me to find time to ride during the week too. But I try not to let one set for a month

• Poe

Posted February 26, 2007 - 04:21 PM

My '93 L is sort of like that if it sits for more than a week or two as well. It doesn't start & stall first though... it just has no sign of life whatsoever until you grind on the starter for a while. Pull the choke & hit the button: Grind... thump.. thump.. thump.. thump. Wait a while. Repeat a couple of times... and then it'll fire off and run great. If you shut it off, it'll restart immediately. It also starts right up when cold if it's only been a couple of days since the last ride. I guess it's just the nature of the beast. I'll have to try that drain-the-carb-bowl trick & save my starter & battery.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Double on the carb-bowl drain.

Drain the bowl down before opening the petcock.

Dave

x3

My 650L and 250R both behave this way.

Fresh gas in the bowl, and it is a one-kick operation.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.