XR650L hard to start after sitting for a while.

1995 XR650L, Dave's mods, K&N filter, 12000 miles, maintained religously - everything is in spec (valves, clean plug, etc).

Here's the problem I've been facing:

90% of the time, it fires right up and runs great (although it will stall a little bit when cold - if I don't let it warm up) - However, if I let it sit for a week or so, it'll start right up and stall out after a few seconds. Then it's a bear to get started again (usually involves running the starter for a minute or two - on and off of course) - but once it does, it runs great and will until I let it sit for a week again.

It seems to have done it since I did the carb mod's about a year and a half ago. At least I don't remember any problems before that. I've checked the carb adjustment and cleanliness. Like I said above - the valves are in spec and the plug is clean (it may be just a tad rich on the main jet according to my plug readings - but nothing extreme).

Anyone had a similar problem or any ideas where else I should look for the problem?

I guess it could be just her way of telling me I need to ride more than once a week :applause:

My R does the same thing if it sits for more than a month. It feels like it has low compression. My theory is that the oil drains off of the cylinder walls/rings and then the seal there is poor. The compression is within specs if the bike has not been sitting. I need to put the compression tester on it after it has sat and the compression feels low just for giggles. :applause:

My 650L gets this way, especially when it sits off season for several months.

I crack the float bowl drain, get fresh fuel in the carb, and it pops right off.

I just did it this past week, when we got a warm enough day to go for a quick run.

It might be worth a try, before you start thinking about upper end rebuilds.

Good luck.

My R does the same thing if it sits for more than a month. It feels like it has low compression. My theory is that the oil drains off of the cylinder walls/rings and then the seal there is poor. The compression is within specs if the bike has not been sitting. I need to put the compression tester on it after it has sat and the compression feels low just for giggles. :applause:

Yes, this can really be a factor. I have a XR600R so I feel the compression when starting. I'm 100% sure that this happenes to my bike.

My '93 L is sort of like that if it sits for more than a week or two as well. It doesn't start & stall first though... it just has no sign of life whatsoever until you grind on the starter for a while. Pull the choke & hit the button: Grind... thump.. thump.. thump.. thump. Wait a while. Repeat a couple of times... and then it'll fire off and run great. If you shut it off, it'll restart immediately. It also starts right up when cold if it's only been a couple of days since the last ride. I guess it's just the nature of the beast. I'll have to try that drain-the-carb-bowl trick & save my starter & battery.