xr650r valve noise

5 replies to this topic
  • 70mustang

Posted February 24, 2007 - 12:32 PM

After doing a valve adjustment for the first time on my BRP the valve noise seems so loud.

How much is too much noise?:applause:

Before the adjustment the valve noise was very soft, almost not there, and all four valves felt tight, so now they are all loosened to the specifications given on pigpen.com, also in the honda manual.

Thanks

• creeky

Posted February 24, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like you may have fallen victim to the "auto decompressor syndrome". You have to make sure that the auto decompressor is deactivated before adjusting the valves. If it isn't deactivated, the RH exhaust valve cannot be properly adjusted. Did you have to back off the RH exhaust adjuster screw quite a bit to get clearance?

• porterdog

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Sounds like you may have fallen victim to the "auto decompressor syndrome".

+1. Had that happen to me on my XR4; bolted it all back up and started it and was like, &%$#@!?! Sounded way worse than when I started!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 70mustang

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:18 PM

thanks for the advice all better now.

Side note, how do you start with the auto decomp, I always use the lever, cant figure it out.

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 25, 2007 - 05:14 PM

The auto-decompressor assembly is generally pretty good at working. Sounds like yours does its job.

BUUUT, the XR650R's kicker is geared about double, so when the auto-decomp does NOT work, like if the engine has stopped rotating just slightly before TDC, then when you go to kick it the auto-decomp does not have a chance to engage and your leg comes to stop, QUICK. It hurts (else I'm a wuss).

So most guys use the decomp lever for every start. The only time I will just kick it is when I stall a warm engine. Then I don't bother with the full sequence and just kick. I've never had a problem in that situation.

But when the engine is cold I always use the decomp lever.

• blacktdi

Posted March 03, 2007 - 01:58 AM

The auto decompressor system is mounted on the camshaft. To set the valve clearence on the righthand side valve lifter (this lifter operates the decompressor system) you have to make sure that the system does not work but that is difficult to see. The system is a kind of camlob located next to real camlob. So if the engine is not running or running below 500 RPM a spring pushes this, shall we say fake camlob, outside with a small spring. So when you start or are below the 500RPM the right hand side valve opens and closes in the same way the normal camlob opens and closes the valve. But because this fake camlob is a bit higher on the bottom side then the normal one the valve stays a bit open. When the engine starts running and is coming above about 500RPM the system is pushed back due to the centrifugal forces in its say normal position so not lifting the rockerarm. This sytem normaly works perfectly but after some years it can be blocked.
So to come back for setting the valve clearences on this rockerarm you have to make sure that you have the camlob in a position that the deco system is not lifting the valve. Remove the sparkplug and rotate the engine with your kick starter and just feel when the valve clearence, only for this valve, is the most and than adjust it to the right value. So the TDC point with all the camlobs facing down is nine out of ten not the best position.
The decompressor handle on your steer is lifting the same valve as above but then in the manual mode.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.