Rear hub issues do your maintenance

17 replies to this topic
  • Docmarkw

Posted February 24, 2007 - 12:19 PM

I took the bike out last weekend (650R)and something was really wrong with the bike. Here's what happens when you keep procracinating on routine maintenance.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Got back from a laughlin run (400 Miles) in January and just parked the bike in the garage, didn't even wash it. Last weekend I rode maybe 10 miles with my wife on the back and felt like I had a flat tire. The tire was actually rubbing against my swing arm. I knew I needed to change out the bearrings, but just put it off for another day. So here are the results of procracinating.

I see a complete rear rim with tire, rotor and sprocket on ebay, but hesitate wanting to spend 300+ on what it's presently going for.

Does anyone have a stock hub they would be willing to part with?

• CTXr650L

Posted February 24, 2007 - 12:35 PM

ouch, that sucks :applause:

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted February 24, 2007 - 01:19 PM

I've had the same thing happen. It isn't a good feeling to look down and see that.

• loufish

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:01 PM

I couldn't even recognize that bearing spacer!

• danbart

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:56 AM

Good time to go for a cush hub!

• porterdog

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Woah, that is a mess.

• Docmarkw

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Before the Laughlin ride I had just a very slight side to side play in the wheel but never checked it after. I never checked it on the next ride either, my wife and I rode maybe 5-10 miles when I noticed just how bad things were. I have to believe I did alot of the damage on the Laughlin ride because I can't see 10 miles of riding chewing up that spacer like it did.

• Docmarkw

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:46 AM

Anyone have any suggestions of where I can find a new (used) hub besides the Honda dealership? Honda wants $260 for a new hub. Some of you like to change out your rear wheels with Talon hubs and you motar guys got to have a hub sitting around, I'm perfectly happy with the stock set up just need to come up with a hub at a resonable price. I want the bike back together soon because this is the prime time for riding here in CA. I tried to bid on a complete rear rim on ebay but lost it in the final seconds. What is a cush hub?

• Docmarkw

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Oh and Desertskyy, you might want to keep your garage door locked, you may come home and find your missing a rear wheel. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted February 25, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Anyone have any suggestions of where I can find a new (used) hub besides the Honda dealership? Honda wants $260 for a new hub. Some of you like to change out your rear wheels with Talon hubs and you motar guys got to have a hub sitting around, I'm perfectly happy with the stock set up just need to come up with a hub at a resonable price. I want the bike back together soon because this is the prime time for riding here in CA. I tried to bid on a complete rear rim on ebay but lost it in the final seconds. What is a cush hub?

Rubber mounted to absorb some of the driveline shock. Only consider it if you do lots of street riding.

• thouk

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Doc,
Try Servicehonda.com. It is only 173 on there site. Have fun, Tony

• focallength

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:18 PM

The stock hubs are notorious for going out. get a aftermarket wheel and you will fair much better.

• Desertskyy

Posted February 26, 2007 - 10:40 AM

Oh and Desertskyy, you might want to keep your garage door locked, you may come home and find your missing a rear wheel. :applause:

Hey, Im not the one that does'nt wash and inspect his bike after each ride.:applause: My bike was fully washed and ready the day after that 125 miler in January including changing out my flat tire.:cry: BTW my bike is locked in my garage. Can't trust anyone these days even a guy like you that I have know for 38 years. Now, we could go by Reeds house and steal his bike.:lol: Also, get your bike back together as I am itching to go riding. My basketball coaching ends this upcoming weekend.

• wickedsprint

Posted February 26, 2007 - 08:04 PM

I think service honda sells the whole assembly for roughly 300 bucks, at least for the front, have not checked the rear.

• loufish

Posted February 26, 2007 - 08:58 PM

The stock hubs are notorious for going out.

Really? What rock have I been hiding under, I thought they held up rather well.

I'm sorry about your hub, but I can't let go of my spare stock hub/wheel. I have a complete frt & rear after installing new Talons & Excels. Might put a paddle tire on the stocker for sand weekends...

• Docmarkw

Posted February 26, 2007 - 10:22 PM

The stock hubs are notorious for going out. get a aftermarket wheel and you will fair much better.

Yea I have never heard of this ever being a problem either. I'm the only 650r owner that I know of who has blown out his hub. The problem was 100% my fault. My bike has roughly 6 thousand miles on it that I put on it and whatever the previous owner put on it. If the bearrings were replaced this would of never been an issue.

• cr2fidy

Posted February 28, 2007 - 02:18 PM

The stock hubs are notorious for going out.

my buddy had his explode on a hillclimb sending his chain through the case. $900 in labor and $2800 in parts later he had a new motor and wheel, thank god for that extended warranty. honda picked up the parts and he paid the labor.

• loufish

Posted February 28, 2007 - 09:25 PM

This hub issue is still new to me, I'm sure somebody has destroyed one here and ther, but for all the years at this board this hasn't been a big topic...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.