Single Baja Design 8" Halogen stator rewind?

14 replies to this topic
  • drop

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Just wondering if a stator rewind is mandatory to run the single 8" Halogen with a 55 watt bulb. Baja Designs application chart is a little vague.

• EddieTNT

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:14 AM

Just wondering if a stator rewind is mandatory to run the single 8" Halogen with a 55 watt bulb. Baja Designs application chart is a little vague.

It think the stock stator puts out just 35 watts. Is seems to me to be a bit of a waste to run the 8" 100W light with 35 watts of output. You can leave the stock set up and still get the anemic 35watts (not safe at night above 1st gear). I just put a single BD 8" light on my 650 with a 200W Ricky Stator (wired for one 100W output). Very nice set up. Bright!

• stevevh

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:31 AM

I tried to run the Trailtech 8inch 55W off the stock stator and it did not work too well. I rewound the stock stator which took about an hour and cost around $20.
Now it is BRIGHT even at idle.

Steve

• drop

Posted February 24, 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to order one and if I'm not happy with the performance I'll get the stator rewound. Oh, does the light come with a on/off switch?

• EddieTNT

Posted February 24, 2007 - 03:34 PM

Not only does it not come with a switch ($24 extra) the light doesn't come with a bulb either. The extra bulb I thought I was ordering turned out to be the only bulb. That's weak. $225 for a light, but the bulb is extra. Their website isn't that clear sometimes. The bulb alone is $36. I found one locally cheaper.

• Slim Shadetree

Posted February 24, 2007 - 07:05 PM

Not only does it not come with a switch ($24 extra) the light doesn't come with a bulb either. The extra bulb I thought I was ordering turned out to be the only bulb. That's weak. $225 for a light, but the bulb is extra. Their website isn't that clear sometimes. The bulb alone is $36. I found one locally cheaper.

i agree that's super wack not including a bulb at that price point. :applause:

• loufish

Posted February 24, 2007 - 07:55 PM

The stock stator is rated for 80 watts, I run a 55 watt bulb and it gets a little "yellow" at idle, but once on the gas it stays bright.
That being said, for any real type of nite riding I'd get the re-wound stator and run a 100-130 watt bulb. I can't justify the cost for the HID units....for me that is.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EddieTNT

Posted February 25, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Baja Designs lists the stock stator as having a 90W output.

• MindBlower

Posted February 25, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Has anyone ever heard/read of someone actually checking the wiring to the headlight to assure than it will actually pass all of the extra voltage to the headlight?
With cars, lots of people swap out sealed beams for euro spec H4's with replaceable and upgradable bulbs. I've got them on all my vehicles. It's very common for the stock wiring harness to not be up for the job, like in my Miata I can put 55/60 in one side and 80/100 in the other and you can't see any difference. Unless you upgrade the headlight circuit wiring you just don't get ALL the extra voltage needed. Now obviously SOME or most of it goes through, but you get quite an improvement from the improved lens design/focus. Guessing that happens with bikes too, to whatever degree.

• MindBlower

Posted February 25, 2007 - 12:17 PM

Are all the 8"ers single "mode"? No high/low beams?

• EddieTNT

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Has anyone ever heard/read of someone actually checking the wiring to the headlight to assure than it will actually pass all of the extra voltage to the headlight?
With cars, lots of people swap out sealed beams for euro spec H4's with replaceable and upgradable bulbs. I've got them on all my vehicles. It's very common for the stock wiring harness to not be up for the job, like in my Miata I can put 55/60 in one side and 80/100 in the other and you can't see any difference. Unless you upgrade the headlight circuit wiring you just don't get ALL the extra voltage needed. Now obviously SOME or most of it goes through, but you get quite an improvement from the improved lens design/focus. Guessing that happens with bikes too, to whatever degree.

That's a very good question/point you have there. Anyone?

• cleonard

Posted February 26, 2007 - 09:06 AM

Are all the 8"ers single "mode"? No high/low beams?

As far as I know they are racing lights and are not DOT/street legal. They are always on high beam.

• cleonard

Posted February 26, 2007 - 09:12 AM

It can be an issue at the higher outputs, like 100 watts. Generally there is very little problem at 55 watts. I run a 90/100 watt H4 and there is a small amount of voltage drop. If I remember correctly I drop about 1/2 of a volt. Most of that is in the high/low beam switch. When I redo my system I will beef up the the wires. If you are running an AC headlight, try and put the regulator close to the headlight.

One thing about high output bulbs. There are a low of bulbs that are marketed as 80 watts, but they are reaaly just regular 55/60 watt bulbs.

• BT Mini

Posted February 27, 2007 - 05:40 PM

Actually the lights do come with either a 55 watt or 100 watt bulb standard. I assume you ordered the PIAA super white bulb which is an upgrade. We probably built your light with your upgrade bulb and the guys must not have put the standard bulb in the box. If you want to call me I can get you a bulb out to you. Our 8" & 4" lights use an H1 bulb which is a single fillament. There is no hi/lo with an H1 bulb therefore we don't use a switch in the system. The other reason we don't use a switch in the "standard" halogen set-up is because alot of these lights are being used in an AC system rather than a DC system. The idea was to offer a light as inexpensive as possible for the guy who just wants a reliable upgrade to his stock light without any extra harnesses or switches.

Thanks,

Tex Mitchell
Baja Designs Inc.

760-560-2252 ext. 135
tex@bajadesigns.com

• HawkGT

Posted February 27, 2007 - 07:04 PM

My 8" BD light with 55w bulb runs fine with the stock stator. It dims at idle but brightens right up while in motion. WAY better than the stock light--not even close.

If hi/low beam is wanted/needed for street use, that's one thing. But otherwise, the angle of the beam is easily adjustable without tools (even on the move--if you want) so you don't blind oncoming traffic or whatever.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.