Grips Glue Or Wire

30 replies to this topic
  • Leelandc

Posted February 26, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Where can you get this grip wire at? Is there a certain grip wire you buy or do you just a certain size wire from a hardware store kinda thing?

• OcotilloBound

Posted February 26, 2007 - 12:49 PM

Your local hardware store should have stainless wire in small spools if you still feel the need to wire them on.
King Air- The 3M 1300-L is a black version of the yellow snot, IIRC. Same stuff JBL includes in their recone kits for gluing dust caps and gaskets back onto reconed speakers. Not quite as stringy as the yellow, but almost, and a little bit thinner overall. I use it for all black weatherstripping, it's way more inconspicuous then that yellow stuff. Dries super quick and holds great for these kinds of applications, consider that they use it to glue foam and cloth and rubber to aluminum, so go figure. Not that you are going to be able to buy it anywhere, I just happen to have worked for an authorized JBL factory reconing center and grab a number of tubes off the recone bench every time I go visit my buddy there.
I usually use Renthal grip glue and a little extra 1300-L (which JBL calls Moyen-323 or something nowadays) without wire and have never had a problem with my Renthal kevlar grips slipping a bit. And yeah, the only way to remove grips is with compressed air and a blow gun. Takes about 3 seconds. I don't even run donuts on my kevlar grips, but I have scott's on my 250 and use donuts to avoid the Yamathumb.

• yz_for_me

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:23 PM

I've used the Renthal grip glue and it always ends up slipping if I don't use safety wire as well. Needless to say, I'm a safety wire believer. It takes 30 seconds to put on and your grips never slip.

• youngr24

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:15 PM

use both

• aford541

Posted February 26, 2007 - 10:42 PM

I See That Alot Off People Use Wire On There Grips Is There Any Reason Why

Also Are You Guys That Are Using Wire On The Grips Not Using Glue Or What

I Have Always Glued Mine And Never Noticed Any Problems

Any Input Helps

If you have ever had a grip come off during a race you would know why you glue them and wire them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reyndogg

Posted February 27, 2007 - 06:01 AM

this is how i roll... glue is for suckers :applause:

http://www.odipowers...m/MX/MX_Str.htm

• skipperlantz

Posted February 27, 2007 - 06:02 PM

I See That Alot Off People Use Wire On There Grips Is There Any Reason Why

Also Are You Guys That Are Using Wire On The Grips Not Using Glue Or What

I Have Always Glued Mine And Never Noticed Any Problems

Any Input Helps

I use both to keep water out when riding in rainy conditions. It's not bulletproof either though.:applause:

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 27, 2007 - 06:46 PM

this is how i roll... glue is for suckers :applause:

http://www.odipowers...m/MX/MX_Str.htm

What happens when the grip wears? If you have to replace the whole setup is would be to much trouble.

• hall1012

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:55 PM

This might sound dumb, but I use gas. But it only works with quality grips like Renthals, because it will eat up cheaper grips over time. I have always put a little bit of gas in the grip before installing it, then pour it out and immediately install the grip. I have never had one slip. I also use safety wire for added assurance.

• Reyndogg

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:03 AM

What happens when the grip wears? If you have to replace the whole setup is would be to much trouble.

pffff... replacing these grips, both sides, literally takes less than 5 min. It's super easy.

• mr meat

Posted February 28, 2007 - 11:08 AM

I use Safety Wire as well as glue......better safe than sorry:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.