• dwnlowx

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:34 AM

I See That Alot Off People Use Wire On There Grips Is There Any Reason Why

Also Are You Guys That Are Using Wire On The Grips Not Using Glue Or What

I Have Always Glued Mine And Never Noticed Any Problems

Any Input Helps

• CaseyWR450

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:47 AM

I don't use wire on my grips, I just use renthal grip glue it holds up really well.:applause: I've used scott grip glue before and it didn't even hold on one race, so just don't even waste your money on it.:applause:

• SRT426

Posted February 24, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I use both just for added measure. Things are gonna get nasty if you grips come off during a whoop section :applause:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 24, 2007 - 09:36 AM

I use the Renthal grip glue and wire.

• TyeeHusky

Posted February 24, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I currently use both. But for 20 years have only used wire.

There is no reason not to wire the grip on. Use thin gauge wire. Cut a little long and twist with needle nose until snug. Snip the extra wire and wish with teh needle nose the small portion you twisted to get it away from your hands.
Last tip. Before twisting to tighten the wire grap the grip and position the twist were your hands to not touch the grip. Do this at each ind of the grip and you will never have problems.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted February 24, 2007 - 01:01 PM

After trying all sorts of different things to hold the grips on I tried some "Gasgacinch" since I had it in the cabinet. It's just like grip glue only stronger than any type I've used before. It takes a little longer to dry but once it does, those grips aren't moving. I also safety wire for good measure, but I probably don't really need to. Gasgacinch is great because it's cheap and you can keep it in the cabinet forever without worry of it drying up.

Posted Image

• Flying_Fynn

Posted February 24, 2007 - 01:06 PM

I currently use both. I use to use spray paint and wire. The wet spray paint would allow me to slide the grip on and then it would dry in place.

• wswain

Posted February 24, 2007 - 02:24 PM

i just used some super glue its strong and cheaper than grip glue.... my friends use wire and have replaced their grips twice since the start of the year i havent had to (i only use glue) and i ride more than them...

• 2wheels-drz

Posted February 24, 2007 - 03:31 PM

i use hair spray, and wire. but wat ever is cheap and works is good...

• 642MX

Posted February 25, 2007 - 07:41 AM

I don't mess with the wire. I use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Its stringy and nasty, but my grips won't come loose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:48 AM

The cleanest way to install grips is to use Krylon Clear spray paint. Just spray the bar ends and the inside of the new grips. Install and let set up for 3 hrs. I use wire to make sure they never slip, especially if you ride in wet conditions. Wire is easy to install....whats the beef? :applause:

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 25, 2007 - 10:28 AM

I don't mess with the wire. I use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Its stringy and nasty, but my grips won't come loose.

Thats what I do grips don't move at all.

• King_Air

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:00 PM

Is that 3M stuff yellow and stringy?. I have access to 3M 1300L contact cement. I think that it is the same thing, but not sure. I think the 1300L would work great. We use it @work to bond rubber to aluminum.

Thanks.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Another clear spray paint and wire guy here. I have tried a few non-Renthal grip glues and they did not hold up for more than a couple rides.

• CaseyWR450

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:07 PM

I hear alot of you are using clear spray paint. Sounds like a good idea. I'm going to give it a try next time I install grips. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Honda Pro Grip Glue here. It's very similar to a good weatherstrip adhesive. Holds very well, but can actually be removed if you want.

• 642MX

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:55 PM

Is that 3M stuff yellow and stringy?. I have access to 3M 1300L contact cement. I think that it is the same thing, but not sure. I think the 1300L would work great. We use it @work to bond rubber to aluminum.

Thanks.

Yeah its yellow and stringy. Some people call it gorrilla snot.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Yeah its yellow and stringy. Some people call it gorrilla snot.

Or "The Yellow Death".

• Florida_426

Posted February 25, 2007 - 07:12 PM

I had a grip with glue only come off in 1977 during an MX race landing from a jump. after I got woke up and back home I became a glue & wire man for grips. Works for me, very well. No further problems with loose grips and it only takes about 5 minutes time to do the wire. Using 3M spray adhesive for the Renthal soft full diamond or Scott medium half-waffle grips.

Bill

• ingramo

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:34 PM

I use the clear coat spray paint and no wire as well, holds up great. As for getting the grips off, I just use my air compressor with the needle attachment and they come right off with little effort. Just my 2 cents

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.