Spark Plug Problems, not starting

4 replies to this topic
  • segge

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:17 AM

I live in Dubai, doing lots of riding in dunes and mountains of the UAE and Oman. Just rturned from a weekend camping trip and had to put my
2004 XR650 in a truck, couldn't start it. The bike is in great shape, 2500 miles on it. This is the third time this has happened since I had it!! Here is the story.

I put 1000 miles on the bike, parked it for the summer in a VERY hot garage for two months. Came back and it started on the 10 - 15th kick, rode around the block. Tried to start it again one week later, kicked it 50 - 75 times, pulled behind a car. No way. Pulled off the tank, checked the plug (black) and there was no spark. Put in a new plug and it started on the second kick.

1000 miles later, very similar situation. The bike sat for a while, I started it, rode a mile or two and came back to it it a week later and same as before. No spark or a very, very weak one. I changed the plug and it started immediately.

Same thing last week. Pulled the bike behind a car to start it and got it going. Started riding yesterday and it started sputtering after 30 - 40 miles then died. Not firing at all, the plug is black. I'll buy a new plug tomorrow.

The bike came from Japan, original jetting, it was never corked, only change is a White Brothers E2 exhaust.

Thanks for your help. Steve

• creeky

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:50 AM

What brand plug are you using? I have had the same problem with an '01 XR400 and an '00 XR250R using NGK plugs. I tried Champions and Nippendenso, no more problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • segge

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:00 AM

I was using the stock NGK plug when I had the first problem. The last two occuracnes were with Iridium BKR7EIX-P plugs

• Hondathumper450

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:58 AM

Just bought my 00 xr650r and same thing. Harder than hell to start. looked at the plug and it was black. I went down and bought a NGK Iridian spark plug and no more problems. it is a 6 to 8 dollar spark plug but no more problems

• segge

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:31 PM

The plug seems to have lots of carbon on it. Did some reading and saw that a blocked air filter will casue this. Mine was pretty dirty. Does this sound true to you? Other csaues for the build up of carbon?

Thanks, Steve

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.