450f

9 replies to this topic
  • dirtking

Posted February 23, 2007 - 06:51 PM

Worse case senerio what would it cost to rebuild a 2006 YZ450F?

• jimmyg

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:21 PM

depends on how much damadge youve done.does it still run ?

• dirtking

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:26 PM

I am just wonderin. There is nothin wrong with the motor only has about 15 hours on it. But im wondering if i should get a two stroke becuz it would be cheaper on rebuilds?

• Captaincautious7

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:42 PM

A topend rebuild can vary considerably with a 4stroke with an average of $400-$1000 depending on alot of factors. But a 450 with only 15 hrs is virtually new and assuming you do proper maintence will go approximately twice as long or longer than your average two-stroke before rebuilding which will help to defer much of the added expense of 4strokes. So most of your concern should really rest with which type of power characteristics you prefer.

• dirtking

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:51 PM

I love the power of the 450 but I am not really that wealthy and just wonderin if a two stroke would have been a better choice. I had a 2000 Cr250r that i rode for two years and never had a problem with it and sold it two a friend who rode it for about another 6 months and then he heard a top end noise and decided to tear it down and discovered part of the piston had broke off. It was still running when it was torn down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captaincautious7

Posted February 23, 2007 - 08:07 PM

I'm on my 3rd 450 but my 1st Yamaha. My previous was a Honda 450 with approximately 135hrs on it when I traded for my yz. That was a considerable amount of hrs but it still ran great. Going by what I read and hear the yz's are a step above the honda on engine durability. Thats why good engine maintence is so important and will help to recoup much of the advantage of cheaper rebuilds you would have in a 2stroke. Also take into account how you ride a big450 as opposed to a 250 2stroke. Engine strain tends to be much less due to the larger amount of torque/hp you are controlling and then there is the added cost of expensive 2stroke oil to mix with the gas which adds up over time.

• dirtking

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:01 PM

I race some but not as much as i would like too. I ride at a local track but do alot of other types of riding too. I love the power of the big 450. Just dont really know if it would be more economical for me to get an 07 yz250

• hall1012

Posted February 23, 2007 - 11:07 PM

I am just wonderin. There is nothin wrong with the motor only has about 15 hours on it. But im wondering if i should get a two stroke becuz it would be cheaper on rebuilds?

As long as you keep it maintained - regular oil and filter changes, valve adjustments - you shouldn't need to rebuild for a very long time. Years. The Yamaha 4 stroke is arguably the most reliable motor out there.

• dirtking

Posted February 23, 2007 - 11:23 PM

How many hours do you guys have on your 2006 YZ450Fs?

• RIDE 13

Posted March 04, 2007 - 05:17 PM

:applause: I have 16.3 hrs on mine.I change my oil every 3 hrs,filter every 6.You will know when it's time to adjust the valves by listening to it.After breakin check the valve clearence,after that RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.