What's the best "RACK" for the 650R?

17 replies to this topic
  • wheelup

Posted February 23, 2007 - 03:49 PM

I've searched this and other sites. Seems Most people have to "support" the luggage rack even after they buy one. :applause: I'm only looking to carry , maybe 10-15 lbs. Nothing crazy. Don't want to spend $160 + and not get a good one. :applause: Thanks for the help.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 23, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Gfriend riding on the back.

• philipstjohn

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:22 PM

Gfriend riding on the back.

try a fanny pack set up- you will never feel it unless you carry alot...
:applause:

• wcorbett

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:42 PM

10-15 pounds? ever heard of a backpack?

• wheelup

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Thanks to all the unemployed/untalented comics on this site. Yeah I heard of a backpack ya jackoff, I'm not as cool as you. I'd rather strap it to something other than myself for those long rides. Oh that's right,..you don't do that. LMAO...Now anybody have any helpful info...not bad oneliner dudes who should die of slow jawbone cancer.....see,...I gots da jokes tooo...:applause:

• NMike

Posted February 23, 2007 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

i was thinking of this one myself, but the rear frame of the bike doesn't look like it could withstand alot of wieght.

• XR4DEZ

Posted February 23, 2007 - 09:50 PM

Thanks to all the unemployed/untalented comics on this site. Yeah I heard of a backpack ya jackoff, I'm not as cool as you. I'd rather strap it to something other than myself for those long rides. Oh that's right,..you don't do that. LMAO...Now anybody have any helpful info...not bad oneliner dudes who should die of slow jawbone cancer.....see,...I gots da jokes tooo...:applause:

testy, SRC has the rack and the under the fender brace.https://secure.srcin...008&StartRow=11

• wheelup

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:05 PM

Thank you for some help. WOW $300! I've seen some others for between $135-$190. Kinda needed some feedback on which is the best bang for the buck, nice fitment, not a cheezy breaking pile. Thanks again.:applause:

• stevevh

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:50 PM

Been through all the info out there regarding racks and sub frame supports and so far this is what I think works best. If you only want to take a small amount of stuff go with the dirt bagz sub frame support. It is steel and is IMHO the best bang for your buck at only $59. This should be able to support 15-20lbs straped to the rear of the seat. If you need more, for another $159 you can get the full dirt bagz soft panniers with a metal frame keeping them out of the exhausts way. This setup seems to be the best of them all. Check out gaspipes thread on advrider.com regarding beefing up the subframe. He has used the dirt bagz for thousands of miles and seems to like them.(Although he did mod them a bit) So far I only have the subfame support from dirt bagz and it is all I need for a small pack on the back of the bike. Hope this helps,

Steve

PS here are a few links.
http://www.moto-spor...bagz/index.html
http://trailpilgrim....read.php?t=1071

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelup

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:40 AM

Thanks, I'll look into them.

• JKL

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:20 PM

The Pro Moto Billet rack is well made and works if you use bigger bolts to bolt it into the sub frame. The bolts it comes with will snap under load, since I went a size bigger there has been no problem. If you want to carry more then a few pounds Dirt Bagz are the way to go, because the weight is lower.
The Pro motto rack interferes with the Dirt Bags mount, so you have to modify one or the other if you want to use both at the same time.

• wcorbett

Posted February 24, 2007 - 09:28 PM

little bit touchy there dontcha think. heres my custom dirt bagz rack
http://i144.photobuc...er/IMG_1061.jpg
http://i144.photobuc...er/IMG_1064.jpg

• wcorbett

Posted February 24, 2007 - 09:29 PM

i forgot to say that it mouts to the subfram, the frame subframe junction and the seat bolt. if you want to copy it ill post more detailed pics
the underseat tank is no longer on the bike but the fram only gives more room now

• XRJunkie

Posted February 25, 2007 - 07:12 AM

i forgot to say that it mouts to the subfram, the frame subframe junction and the seat bolt. if you want to copy it ill post more detailed pics
the underseat tank is no longer on the bike but the fram only gives more room now

More! More! More! Gimme more pics! Um, please... :applause:

Post, PM, email, fax, carrier pigeon, smoke signals, whatever. I'm collecting ideas for getting a custom setup made and will take all the ideas I can get. Want to be able to carry around 20#'s safe and securely...

Thanks!

• focallength

Posted February 25, 2007 - 03:26 PM

Posted Image

i was thinking of this one myself, but the rear frame of the bike doesn't look like it could withstand alot of wieght.

It can withstand a lot of weight trust me, I know for a fact it can support at least 100 pounds. Just keep the weight off the fender that only supports about 10. That rack is probabbly the cheapest and best.

• MindBlower

Posted February 25, 2007 - 07:40 PM

It can withstand a lot of weight trust me, I know for a fact it can support at least 100 pounds. Just keep the weight off the fender that only supports about 10. That rack is probabbly the cheapest and best.

Does the oem taillight lose any visability with that rack?

• wcorbett

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:20 PM

Ill go out and take more pics later. theres also some my dad posted of it on adventure rider.

• XRR-kat

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I love the looks of the Sahara seat-tank with the Clark/IMS 4plus gal tanks.

More photos please, looks like same photos as on AdvRider.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.