AC solid state flasher

6 replies to this topic
  • ssmith622

Posted February 23, 2007 - 03:19 PM

I am converting my XR650r to ride on the street. I would rather not put a battery in the bike and I would like to keep everything running AC current. Just wondering if anybody knows where I can buy the right AC solid state flasher for the turn signals to work properly. They will be LED along with all other lights except the headlights. I did find a mechanical flasher that said that it works with LEDs but it says DC. From what I understand the regulator rectifier will reduce available power and I just think keeping everything AC regulated would be a simpler system. The trail Tech Viper speedometer that I will be putting on also runs on AC. So for the only thing I have not ordered are turn signals and AC solid state flasher.

• cleonard

Posted February 23, 2007 - 03:24 PM

I am converting my XR650r to ride on the street. I would rather not put a battery in the bike and I would like to keep everything running AC current. Just wondering if anybody knows where I can buy the right AC solid state flasher for the turn signals to work properly. They will be LED along with all other lights except the headlights. I did find a mechanical flasher that said that it works with LEDs but it says DC. From what I understand the regulator rectifier will reduce available power and I just think keeping everything AC regulated would be a simpler system. The trail Tech Viper speedometer that I will be putting on also runs on AC. So for the only thing I have not ordered are turn signals and AC solid state flasher.

I'm not sure, but I don't think that you will find the AC LED flasher that you are looking for. You could try and just run the flashers (and maybe the taillight) on DC. Get a bridge rectifier and a capacitor. Use the bridge to turn your AC into DC and the cap to smooth it out. Then just run the flashers on that. The headlight will still be AC just like it is now. The AC regulator will keep the voltage down on the DC side as well. The only complication is that the AC and DC sides can not share the same ground. One or the other will have to be insulated from the other.

• xrltim

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:13 PM

You won't find any LED lights that will work with AC. Just becuase you have a DC rectifier/voltage regulator doesn't mean you have to have a battery. I put a big capacitor on my DR 350 and it worked trouble free forever. It's probably still there today. I sold that bike years ago. White Bros. makes a Capacitor specifically for this purpose for about $40, or you could do what I did and go to Radio Shack and get one for about $5. I think it's 35,000 microfarad 12/24 vdc. Cap. Basically it absorbs the current that your system doesn't consume, then releases it on greater demand. You will need a rectifier/regulator though. Baja designs has a kit that you could get some ideas from if you didn't want to buy one. If you get a good parts list and an end result that works you could probably sell the plans on Ebay. I bought plans for an IC igniter for my truck on Ebay that saved me hundreds. Same kind of thing, a list of parts easliy available to assemble a system that works. So, longwinded but hopefully helpful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:16 AM

I use a 25amp full bridge rectifier (you can get one at radio shack) for the DC, use a 50,000mf capacitor close to the blinker relay, by the head light. I run 80 watts through this system and striaght 120 watts AC to the head light. I am looking into using a bigger capacitor and another rectifier to see if I can run HID light without a battery on the 120 watt side.

• ssmith622

Posted February 24, 2007 - 02:09 PM

I decided to go ahead and use standard turn signals. They do have LED tail lights and brake lights that work on either AC or DC circuit's. At least the one I purchased said they would work on AC or DC. I understand how to wire to separate circuits on the motorcycle to have a DC current with a floating ground separate from your AC system. I'd just wanted to have LED turn signals for durability I have seen some fairly expensive solid-state flashers but they don't say that they are compatible with the AC system and I know they were designed for street bikes which would use DC. I haven't given up and if I do find the right flasher I will try to let everyone know because a complete AC system would be a very simple system with no capacitor no battery and no rectifier. I have seen some other solid-state flashing circuits but it would take some research to find out the exact load that I would be putting on the circuit and how it would react like how many flashes per minute.

• porterdog

Posted February 25, 2007 - 09:21 AM

[hijack] Bruce, what regulator are you running? [/hijack]

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted February 25, 2007 - 04:37 PM

I got my flasher from Napa and my LED turn signals from Walmart, they work great using AC only.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.