Looking at buying an '03 YZ450f

10 replies to this topic
  • ItzBACON

Posted February 23, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys, need a little advice. I'm looking at a co-worker's '03 YZ450f that he is selling. It seems to be in really good shape, he changes the oil on it about every 3 rides, cleans/changes the air filter after every ride, he seems very meticulous about maintenance on it. It's got Tag bars on it, full M4 titanium exhaust, bark busters, fresh engine rebuild, new plastics and graphics, new seat that hasn't been put on yet because the old seat isn't worn out at all, an extra gas tank (cross country), wider foot pegs, revalved suspension front and rear, and some other numerous things i can't remember. Anyways, my question is about the price. He wants $3800 for it pretty firm since he just rebuilt the engine and put new plastics on. I've been searching around, and it seems that most '03's are listed around 2900-3200. I'm just afraid that's not a good deal, the 3800. But for me to put all the stuff he has onto it, would run WELL over that if i bought a stock used one. So any thoughts, advice, comments are EXTREMELY welcome. Thanks guys.

Ben

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2007 - 01:28 PM

Depends on what exactly was done during the rebuild, I think. Still quite a bit of money at that price.

• motokid338

Posted February 23, 2007 - 01:31 PM

$3,800 is a lot of money for an 03...I would wait till spring and you can probably find a better deal.

• YzGuy79

Posted February 23, 2007 - 01:48 PM

Wow I don't about your part of the country but, here in the northeast, thats WAY too much for an '03. We're lucky to get $2400 around here. The older generation just doesn't hold it's value. It sounds like he's trying to recoupe all the money he sank into it. That never works on MX bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2007 - 01:56 PM

The other thing you'll find is that the extra after market stuff doesn't increase the sale price as much as it speeds up the sale. My '03 had $2k worth of extras, and I paid no more for it than the stockers were being offered for.

The rebuild does have some value, though, as I said, if it was complete enough, and done well enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ItzBACON

Posted February 23, 2007 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I thought it was a bit pricey too, I just had to get some other opinions from people that own them or have had some experience with the YZ. What sucks is the YZ's are pretty rare used around here. I have only seen a couple for sell. If you guys know of any '03+ 450's or '04+ 250's for sell in Oklahomo, I'd be more than happy to hear about it.

• flintlock28

Posted February 24, 2007 - 08:44 AM

Definately too much.....maybe $ 3,200 or so would be more realistic. His mentality is "since I put x number of dollars in upgrades etc., I should get that money back" doesn't work that way...you don't get back 100% or 80% of what you upgraded. Still sounds like a great bike....offer lower and see what he says.

• dwnlowx

Posted February 24, 2007 - 09:00 AM

WELL IF I WERE YOU I WOULD JUST BUY A USED 06 450 THEY ARE GETTING CHEEEEAP I SEE THEM FOR AROUND 4000 TO 4500 ALL THE TIME NOW ,THAT WOULD BE YOUR BEST BET SORRY FOR SCREAMING:excuseme:

• ItzBACON

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:39 PM

Definately too much.....maybe $ 3,200 or so would be more realistic. His mentality is "since I put x number of dollars in upgrades etc., I should get that money back" doesn't work that way...you don't get back 100% or 80% of what you upgraded. Still sounds like a great bike....offer lower and see what he says.

Yeah I tried that, he didn't want to move off the 3800. That's fine though, cause today I went and found an '04 YZ250f for less than 3k with a free brand new helmet. :applause: This was the bike I was originally searching for, and this thing is mint too. It's bone stock, I don't like buying modified vehicles, I like to do all that stuff myself anyways. So I get to go pick it up on Monday, I can't wait. Thank you guys for all your comments, was very helpful.

dwnlow - I wanted to keep the price around 3k or less. Looking into buying a new house and trying to get mine fixed up to sell, so I didn't want to spend a ton of money.

• lctatlp

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:56 PM

Way to be patient and not impulsive. I've learned that, after jumping on the first bike I see many times in the past. Now I know to look around a bit before buying.

I have an 04 YZ450F and I love it. A few mods have been done such as making it street legal! I paid $3500 in July 06 for it which I think is fair because I need it to be street legal here in Mass.

Good luck bro and if you have any questions about the 04 give me a shout.

• ItzBACON

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:10 PM

I've learned the hard way about being impulsive as well haha. I've probably been looking around for about 6 months to a year for a bike, finally found one I really liked.

I had a street legal DRZ400 back in '01, and that thing was mad fun. This is my first MX bike, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I have a CBR to ride on the street, so I got this bike for strictly offroad.

Thanks lctatlp, I'll hit you up if I have questions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.