couple of pics and questions?

22 replies to this topic
  • kyle450rider

Posted March 01, 2007 - 10:50 AM

For one thing, the rear fender is wider and shaped differently on one side than the other, which will throw the look off.

The rear wheel is aligned when the rear sprocket points DIRECTLY at the front sprocket. This is the most important thing to accomplish in aligning the rear, and the straight edge method I laid out is the most accurate way of getting there. By that method, an error of .5mm at the axle block will show up as 2mm or more at the front sprocket, so you can find the smallest discrepancy.

The other thing is that if you were to remove your forks and hold the frame up with a tube running through the steering head, the rear tire should be pointing right at that tube. If your wheel is still centered correct over the hub, and the frame is straight, it will be.

Well,i have a few more days before i get the suspension back so i'll have time to get it corrected.Thanks for the info.By the way i wonder if anyone makes a device to check straightness.By the way you suggested you would think someone would have made some kind of bar that would attach to the rear sprocket to give you proper allignment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2007 - 11:14 AM

Motion Pro makes an alignment gauge that does essentially the same thing, and does not require the removal of the chain. It clamps onto the rear sprocket, straddling the chain, and uses a rod the extends forward over the chain to indicate the alignment of the wheel. My only beef with it is that the rod could be longer, but that's not too hard to fix, either.

Look on This Page

• kyle450rider

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:07 PM

That looks like a nifty tool.I might try to make my own.Shouldnt be to hard just find something perfectly straight and bolt it to the rear sprocket.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.