what gearing?

13 replies to this topic
  • Farmboy

Posted January 18, 2002 - 06:37 PM

I currently am running the stock gearing, but would like a little more grunt on bottom. Most of my riding is in the desert but we climb every hill we can find. Any suggestions on a good set up for climbing hills? We have some really nasty ones up here in Idaho that I would like to be able to get up a little further. My bike right now is completly stock except the baffle and lid removed ( I cut the grey wire but started fouling plugs like mad so I put it back ). Any help at all would be appreciated.

• UtahMotorcycleAdventures

Posted January 18, 2002 - 07:09 PM

Drop your counter sprocket down one to 13 teeth. This will lower all your gears (great for steep, narly hills) and still leave you enough top speed for you to get scared. It's probably your easiest fix.

• Ron_S

Posted January 19, 2002 - 01:57 AM

Try a Flywheel weight. You can get them from 8 oz to 12 oz. I have an 8 on my stock timed WR, and it helps a lot. You can chug along better without stalling. I would have gone 12oz, but 8 was all that was available at the time.

• Taffy

Posted January 19, 2002 - 06:27 AM

a flywheel weight a juice clutch and 14/50 gearing are all you need. oh and for the jetting to be spot on as well!

• Farmboy

Posted January 20, 2002 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I hope to get my gearing changed before spring. What is the cost of a flywheel weight not sure if I will have the money for it, as I am going to get a pipe before this spring as well. As for my jetting I am trying to find someone around here that could help me with that as I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to that stuff.

• Lil_Bill

Posted January 20, 2002 - 10:04 PM

Farmboy, if you get a new pipe you will want to rejet the pig. I put a new pipe on mine but I didn't rejet for a few months and I wish I had. I found out that stock I was jetted too lean even w/o a new pipe, now with new jetting and the E-series it is like learning the bike all over again. I never knew how big a difference the jetting would makwe.

• Taffy

Posted January 21, 2002 - 12:28 AM

now come on which comes first!

one cures problems and the other creates them. get your gearing and flywheel weight done first and act your age and not your shoe size.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted January 21, 2002 - 03:48 AM

That's good Taffy....Slap the rookie around...Thats a great confidence builder.... :)

Farmboy.... I'd be happy to help you out, E-mail me direct if you have questions. :D

Bonzai :D

• lewichris

Posted January 21, 2002 - 05:34 AM

going 13 on the front is harder on your chain and on your chain guide and sprockets. Go 14/52 or 53. that is tha best wa to gear down your bike. But then again i have only had 5or6 people tell me this. I still have a 13 on the front. But i did buy new sprockets and a chain for this spring. So i went 14/52.

• HP224

Posted January 21, 2002 - 12:27 PM

2000 Wr,stockfront, 52 rear, white bros. e-series muffler, stockhead pipe. everything else is stock. this is a hillclimbing machine. can start out in 2cnd gear if needed and have 1rst there if you need it.

• lewichris

Posted January 21, 2002 - 12:29 PM

hill climbing in second. Wow i thought that third was low. I love the power of these machines

• Farmboy

Posted February 22, 2002 - 06:44 AM

Well I got new sprockets on my bike. I went just bought a 13 front and a 52 rear so I can see which way I like it best. I haven't found anyone around here that can help me with my jetting but I am going to try the dealer in a town nearby. I would try it myself but I don't want to ruin my bike. I have another question what does the flywheel weight do exactly? I would guess that it slows down the revs some and helps you not to stall. I don't really have a problem with stalling my bike so just curious if it will help me some other way. Thanks for all your great help.

• lewichris

Posted February 22, 2002 - 06:53 AM

where is howe?
never heard of it. I myself am in Coeur D alene ID. i may be able to help. Shoot me an e-mail and let me know where you are.

• Farmboy

Posted February 22, 2002 - 06:23 PM

Howe is about 80 miles west of Idaho Falls. If you know where the I.N.E.L. is we are right by it. I am quite a long ways from couer D alene. Howe is way out in the middle of nowhere, my nearest neighbor is 6 miles away. I have been going over my manual trying to figure out the carb, so maybe I will be able to figure out what I am doing. Thanks for everyones help.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.