650L Jetting question??

10 replies to this topic
  • 650_shark

Posted February 23, 2007 - 05:07 AM

I know alot of people ask this question but the my result from searching the forum kind of leave some gaps. So I'm going to ask anyway....

I have a 2006 XR650L Stock.....I scored a WB E2 muffler and Big Gun Header for cheap money. Smog stuff already removed. Airbox/filter is stock. Carb is stock.

What is the hot setup for jets with this combo?? I'm assuming that the "Dave's Mods" will need to be done. I live in the Northeast area so elevation is on the low scale.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:17 AM

I like the dyno jet kit, alot of folks don't - but I had good performance with mine. I installed the 165 main jet, needle and spring from the DJ kit. I went to Honda shop and got a 55 pilot jet, ran my air fuel screw home to seated and then 2 1/4 turns out, I am running the same pipe as you are, but have a UNI air filter and the snorkle removed.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:18 AM

btw I also did not drill my slide nor did I change my header.

• goblin127

Posted February 23, 2007 - 08:36 AM

I know alot of people ask this question but the my result from searching the forum kind of leave some gaps. So I'm going to ask anyway....

I have a 2006 XR650L Stock.....I scored a WB E2 muffler and Big Gun Header for cheap money. Smog stuff already removed. Airbox/filter is stock. Carb is stock.

What is the hot setup for jets with this combo?? I'm assuming that the "Dave's Mods" will need to be done. I live in the Northeast area so elevation is on the low scale.

55/158 Daves mods will save you money and you will have better performance to boot. Do not forget to drill the slide. Since your alltitude maybe low like mine and you are running a full aftermarket exaust you could run a 58 pilot instead of the 55. Buy them both and see for your self there cheap. Where in mass are you? Do you know the elevation?

• 650_shark

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:44 AM

Not sure about actual elevation values. I live in Beantown so that is 0 or negative in some spots.... I guess on some of the area hills (mountains) maybe 500-1500 ft. I'm shooting from the hip.

Thanks for the input, the info you guys gave kind of reinforces my other finds and gives a firm starting point.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hseamans

Posted February 23, 2007 - 11:52 AM

I also have an 06 about to be re jetted. Some clarification: is drilling the slide and replacing the spring (dyno jet kit) redundant or should I do both? Thanks.

• cleonard

Posted February 23, 2007 - 12:40 PM

I also have an 06 about to be re jetted. Some clarification: is drilling the slide and replacing the spring (dyno jet kit) redundant or should I do both? Thanks.

I just guessing here, but I would imagine that the dyno jet spring is lighter. That means at a given airflow the slide will be more open. Drilling the slide allows the slide to respond faster to throttle and rpm changes.

• xrltim

Posted February 23, 2007 - 03:13 PM

I've gone with the Dynojet kit on mine without drilling the slide and it's great. I have the stock header pipe with an XR's Only pipe. Don't worry too much about the altitude changes. I have mine jetted for just above sea level and routinely take it above 5000' with no problems at all. I think you'll only have problems if you are close to being too rich or too lean, then if you go above or below the workable level of that setup it runs bad. I've put several Dynojet kits on different bikes and they have always worked out really well as long as you are using a recognized exhuast and follow the instructions. They are also very helpful on the phone if you do need help. Just my 2 cents.:applause:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 26, 2007 - 09:01 AM

I've gone with the Dynojet kit on mine without drilling the slide and it's great. I have the stock header pipe with an XR's Only pipe. Don't worry too much about the altitude changes. I have mine jetted for just above sea level and routinely take it above 5000' with no problems at all. I think you'll only have problems if you are close to being too rich or too lean, then if you go above or below the workable level of that setup it runs bad. I've put several Dynojet kits on different bikes and they have always worked out really well as long as you are using a recognized exhuast and follow the instructions. They are also very helpful on the phone if you do need help. Just my 2 cents.:applause:

On the XRL I've seen a fair amount of good reviews on the DJ kit for those that also change the exhaust, and a lot fewer for those that keep the stock exhaust.

I ran the DJ kit before doing the drilling/shimming, and the drilling/shimming was a large improvement over the kit (all with stock exhaust).

Dave

• rhodesker

Posted February 27, 2007 - 07:32 PM

i have a 07 650l , i bought the dyno jet kit ,put on a big gun evox slip on, snorkle removed from air box, uni filter,smog stuff removed installed the ims baja kit to plug all the holes, i drilled holes in the slide 5/32 ,165main and went to the honda dealership for a 55 pilot. (dynojet does not supply one???) pilotscrew out 2 1/4. there is some info out there about to remove or not to remove the charcoal canister, ims instructions are kind of vague,so use the big plug to plug up the lower hole in the airbox instead of the top..leave the charcoal canister connected to the cranckcase vent. i was a bit skeptical at first that this would make any diffrence,so i tried it without,seems to idle a bit better with. there are some instructions from diffrent sites on how to go about this. i ended up using a little info from everyone . all this makes a world of diffrence . big fun full steam ahead!!!

• 650_shark

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:47 PM

Just to updat this thread, I got the muffler and header. Actually it was an E-series muffler not E2. I have installed the pipe aqnd took the snorkle out of the airbox. I took it for a beat run around the block, it seems a different with out rejetting and sounds real mean. I can't wait to get the mods to the carb done.

One question, how can I make the muffler quieter? Is it by adding more discs or changing a tip out? I forsee some angry neighbors when I fire the BRP up at 6:30am to go to work.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.