XR600 Tinkering...

11 replies to this topic
  • Slim Shadetree

Posted February 22, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Been doing a few things to the XR:
Once I had finished checking the valves for the first time since buying the bike I decided to keep playing...
After another user mentioned he had used Krylon Fusion paint I copied his suggestion and did my old faded white side panels:

Posted Image

I also painted the Headlight shroud black.

Here I am using some old BBQ paint on the exhaust while it's still on the bike:

Posted Image

I also took the Carb apart and inspected it for the first time:

Posted Image

Here were the Carb #'s :

Pilot - 1 3/4 turns out
Slow - 62
Main - I can't find any number on this except a small " 140RD " stamped on it. Is that a stock number from Honda for a certain size stock jet ? The inside of the carb/jets looked very clean :applause:

I will update the thread as I get the bike back together !

• cleonard

Posted February 22, 2007 - 11:05 PM

I see everything in the carb, but the one part that is known to fail and do damage. Check the choke plate. The little flapper breaks off and gets sucked into the engine. On mine the flap was ready to break off. The rest of the choke plate had a crack almost all the way through it.

That main seems to be way too small. I think that I'm running a 68 pilot and a 158 main.

Anyone know how well that Krylon fusion holds up?

• creeky

Posted February 23, 2007 - 04:53 AM

Anyone know how well that Krylon fusion holds up?

The Krylon holds up very well but will scratch up after a while. Surface prep of the item to be painted is the key. Make sure that ALL the grease and dirt is removed, use lacquer thinner or acetone for a final cleaning. A light buffing with a Scotchbrite pad will help the paint adhere. I have also used Rust-Oleum plastic primer on the plastic followed by a couple of coats of regular spray enamel, looks good but doesn't last as long as the Krylon.

• cbaranski

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Slim Shadetree, I found that the Duplicolor engine enamal to paint my plastic. It seems to hold up alot better than the Fussion painy. I've laid my bike down and hasn't scratched at all. you just have to prep the surface really good. Check it out at http://www.putfile.com/cbaranski all the black is painted and its really a thick paint. it works the best when you paint the parts outside in the sunlight and let it bake on for a day out in the sun.

• Slim Shadetree

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:26 PM

Ok I said I would update a pic when it was back together:

Posted Image

ended up cleaning the carb, checking what jets I have. :applause: first carb job for me!
some cleaning of the bike
valves adjusted
painting panels
gastank / petcock filter cleaned

i will have owned the bike for one year this April since then I've learned soo much about my bike. Now with the coming spring weather it's just time to enjoy it and RIDE :eek:

• bork

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Nice job & Nice grass. Time to roost it up!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • deelong4002

Posted March 16, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Why didnt you just take the exhaust off. I took mine off in less than ten minutes and painted it. Also had some Ford engine red paint so i sprayed the exhaust gaurd with that, came out pretty good if i get around to it i might post a picture

P.s i have the exact same bike as you, minus the black side covers, and its street legal in MI

• deelong4002

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:17 PM

ok here it is, i dont know if i like it or not but i was bored and had some red heat paint. The black heat paint kind of changed colors after one ride

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Slim Shadetree

Posted March 16, 2007 - 08:11 PM

great bike deelong ! i didn't take the exhaust off because I don't like to play with exhaust bolts. too many bad memories. that's why i didn't take the manifold off and grind away some of the welds inside. the 600 is plenty powerful in stock trim for me at this point.

that grass is finally getting sun after many months of cold, rain, wind, snow, more rain, and then rain again. Rain right now and for the next five days; I expect to find Frodo Baggins taking a walk back there.

• deelong4002

Posted March 17, 2007 - 09:52 AM

Is it worth grinding away the welds on the inside of the exhaust? I looked at those when i was painting it and was like "maybe i should clean those up they look a little large" but i didnt want to weaken the flange and have my pipe break

• Slim Shadetree

Posted April 02, 2007 - 07:53 PM

Posted Image

Went out for it's first real ride since all the work. Feels good, bike is strong as usual.

• CTXr650L

Posted April 03, 2007 - 04:39 PM

bike looks sharp :bonk: like the video too...

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.