Cam Cover gasket leaking oil

3 replies to this topic
  • Fly-nBri

Posted February 22, 2007 - 04:34 PM

HI all...

I just had this all gone through last year and now after a few days worth of riding I've noticed that oil is leaking on the right side just below the half circular rubbers. (gasket)

What would the fix be since I know it's new since last year and I have this problem? Tighten bolts? Sealant?

Help and TIA!

• Gerry B

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:38 PM

it depends on the condition of the gasket. If it's aworn then get a new gasket. If it looks good, you could use a little silicon sealant. I would pull the gasket off and give it a good inspection.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:49 PM

The silicon RTV sealant you can typically buy from auto parts stores basically sucks for this kind of application, according to a life long professional master mechanic with over 35 years of experience (me). If you get some of the stuff that GM sells as silicon sealer, it's much better, but the only people liable to pay what they want for it are those of us who have used it. You really need to be convinced of it's worth to cough the kind of money they want.

Alternatively, a good "contact cement" type of automotive gasket sealer works well with rubber seals like this, and #3 "Aviation" Permatex is excellent, albeit a little messy if you aren't careful.

With the YZF cam cover, all you really need is a gasket in good shape, and just enough contact sealer to stick it to the cover so that it stays where it should be long enough to be assembled, and that should hold oil perfectly. Yours may be cut or shrunk.

• Fly-nBri

Posted February 25, 2007 - 08:56 AM

Thanks GR...I'll give it a shot. Since it's basically new, who knows what the shop did to the gasket upon installation.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.