edelbrock carb report

11 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted February 22, 2007 - 01:47 PM

here's a rather interesting story for ya;
over the past 3 yrs of running a rekluse on 04 wr450 and now on my 05 yz 450 i have always had a jetting problem off the bottom(for some reason the rekluse makes the jetting sensative) it likes to run lean off and i could never get it dialed in totally where it needed to be and believe me i've been trying! so after spending some time researching the ebrock i bought one. the research indicated that it was very hard to dial in both the top and bottom end without starving or richening one or the other.well my experience with my powernow on the fcr told me that it richened the bottom by moving the air faster at smaller throttle openings. so....my tim the tool man taylor attitude took over and i ordered up a SLP powervane for the front of the carb(intake side) modded it to fit the ebrock and it all went together well. all the time i'm working towards this i'm taking serious ridicule for even thinking about running a ebrock:cry: i had doubts but after 3 rides and very little tuning it runs like a scalded ape,it pulls from 0 rpm thru t'ill the end so much control and instant response especially when on/off the throttle(thats where one of my biggest probs were with the fcr) it starts 1st kick when hot and when i go up/down the adjustment it reacts as it should. i don't know whats goin on with the close mindedness in the jetting forum but when i posted my results there i was met with total denial that such a thing could be happening (that a ebrock carb could work)and without any reason the thread was locked:excuseme: i really wish they could ride it! the only other mechanical change was a new crower G1 intake cam(that works awesome for bottom end btw) but that wouldn't alter how the carb performed,man it just pulls under load like a detroit diesel:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted February 22, 2007 - 02:58 PM

...the only other mechanical change was a new crower G1 intake cam... but that wouldn't alter how the carb performed...

Actually, it could. The cam timing and profile will affect how air flows across the venturi of the carb, especially in one carb per cylinder applications. That will affect the intake signal at the jets, and can have a distinct influence on metering in specific situations.

It's a little like the old saying that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Sometimes you just fall into a lucky combination. Edelbrocks have mostly been knocked because it's difficult to make them work when they don't match the engine perfectly. If it works, it obviously works, and that's hard to argue with.

• ncmountainman

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Actually, it could. The cam timing and profile will affect how air flows across the venturi of the carb, especially in one carb per cylinder applications. That will affect the intake signal at the jets, and can have a distinct influence on metering in specific situations.

It's a little like the old saying that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Sometimes you just fall into a lucky combination. Edelbrocks have mostly been knocked because it's difficult to make them work when they don't match the engine perfectly. If it works, it obviously works, and that's hard to argue with.

kinda reminds me of that squirrel in ice age;been chasin' that nut for awhile! we'll see how it works out long term:ride:

• YZFan

Posted April 27, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Mountainman I know how you feel I was fighting and fighting my 99 400 with the FCR. I tried every mod on the forum with no help. My bike would bog at the worst time like on the face of a jump. I was to the point I didnt want to ride the bike anymore and was getting ready to sell it. I found a Edelbrock on ebay brand new and cheap and thought what the hell. It was the single best mod I did to the bike. (the other was the 450 cam) When I ask on here about it people thought I was out of my mind and there was no way an Edelbrock could be better then and FCR. Well it was and I never had another carb problem after that.

• SPLATT

Posted April 28, 2007 - 02:39 AM

To me it seems like the FCR is a tuners carb, someone that doesn't mind tuning for every little variance while the Edelbrock is a simpler carb meant for someone who just wants to ride. For racing and other high performance applications the FCR is probably probably a much superior set up,but I would rather ride than tune a stinkin carb. I need to get my Edelbrock installed now that my Rekluse is dialed. To bad there isn't a affordable and reliable fuel injection system available.

Steve

• slacksaw

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:20 AM

I have an edelbrock quick silver I know its not made anymore but agree with grey It seems Im constantly trying to get that thing dialed in not that it is complete crap just hard to find that perfect or happy medium. with bog on hard acceleration and finding the right rich or lean setting. It does though have an adjustment knob on top that makes it convienent to go rich or lean easily. and edelbrock tech support was great in trying to help but you will wait on hold for a bit.(no different than any other place you call now adays)maybe when I get extra cash laying around I may look into a new carb professionally installed and tuned :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:31 AM

there is still enough tuneability in the ebrock to satisfy a tweaker such as myself to get it into race trim,and over time i've come to understand its weak points,its not really the simple circuitry that causes the problems with these carbs...its the float setup,they are very sensative to alot of movement/slosh (which is inevitable on a dirtbike) and to overcome this sensativity ebrock fashioned a baffle plate under which there is some fuel cell foam. ok this was a great idea but the plate is not fixed and moves about beneath the float and was traced to being the source of a glitch that surfaced every now and then (it about had me ready to join on the bandwagon with the ebrock haters!) seems it would get lodged diagonally up under the float either sticking it open or shut(depending on which way it got stuck) so i tried removing all the baffle crap and soon realized why it was there(the float moves up and down too much allowing the bowl to overfill) so back to the drawing boards. after discussing this with rob barnum of barnums pro (he's a big supporter of this carb) and trying to discuss it with ebrock(they seem to think that its perfect the way it is:bonk: ) i came up with screwing the plate down in the bowl and using a wire connector between the needle and float (this doesn't come with the carb but does on the needle/seat replacement kit,i think they eliminated it to reduce flooding) with this solid on/off fuel supply i had to lower the bowl level as it allows a bit more fuel than the needle just opening by fuel force through the hose. i ran the last race like this and it performed flawlessly:thumbsup:

• slacksaw

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:39 AM

Ive heard rob barnums name quite a few times is he that good and who has a number so I can call and get some help with mine lord knows I could use it. I have been shooting in the dark trying to get it perfect. :applause:

• YZFan

Posted April 28, 2007 - 06:02 AM

To me it seems like the FCR is a tuners carb, someone that doesn't mind tuning for every little variance while the Edelbrock is a simpler carb meant for someone who just wants to ride. For racing and other high performance applications the FCR is probably probably a much superior set up,but I would rather ride than tune a stinkin carb. I need to get my Edelbrock installed now that my Rekluse is dialed. To bad there isn't a affordable and reliable fuel injection system available.

Steve

See here is the kind of stuff that gets said when you tell most of these guys on Thumper-talk about how great the Edelbrock carb is. For me on my 99 YZ400 my FCR was JUNK I tried every jetting setup I could, and tried the AP mod for that year replaced the diaphragm in the accel pump, cleaned and cleaned the carb. None of this fixed my bog problem. I bolted on the Edelbrock carb made some very small adjustments and the bike was fixed of any bog! My uncle bought my 400 so it is sitting next to my 05 CRF450 I would not install this carb on my CRF because I have no problems with my FCR on my Honda and other than the JD jetting kit it has not been touched. Just so you know the Edelbrock carb is way more adjustable than the FCR. It has an ADJUSTABLE ACCELERATOR PUMP, Externally adjustable needle height for easy low speed fuel calibration, no special tools for adjusting fuel mixture, you can replace the needle with out removing the carb. It is aggravating to read these comments about the Edelbrock carb from people that have no experience let alone ever seen one.( Splatt dont think Im being an ass to you your comments are fine compared to some people) Just in case you are wanting to know I DO NOT work for or have anything to do with Edelbrock. I have used some of there products on some of my old trucks and cars through the years. This Edelbrock carb works and it fixed my problem and it seems it fixed ncmountainman problem. Sorry for the rant but the FCR is a tuner carb is not true the Edelbrock is far more adjustable and easier to setup. You can adjust all the setting with out removing the carb from the bike and in minutes the adjustments are made. I know there are some people on Thumper talk that have had problems with the Edelbrock carb but I bet if you did a search you would find that it has a very high success rate.

• SPLATT

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:16 AM

See here is the kind of stuff that gets said when you tell most of these guys on Thumper-talk about how great the Edelbrock carb is. For me on my 99 YZ400 my FCR was JUNK I tried every jetting setup I could, and tried the AP mod for that year replaced the diaphragm in the accel pump, cleaned and cleaned the carb. None of this fixed my bog problem. I bolted on the Edelbrock carb made some very small adjustments and the bike was fixed of any bog! My uncle bought my 400 so it is sitting next to my 05 CRF450 I would not install this carb on my CRF because I have no problems with my FCR on my Honda and other than the JD jetting kit it has not been touched. Just so you know the Edelbrock carb is way more adjustable than the FCR. It has an ADJUSTABLE ACCELERATOR PUMP, Externally adjustable needle height for easy low speed fuel calibration, no special tools for adjusting fuel mixture, you can replace the needle with out removing the carb. It is aggravating to read these comments about the Edelbrock carb from people that have no experience let alone ever seen one.( Splatt dont think Im being an ass to you your comments are fine compared to some people) Just in case you are wanting to know I DO NOT work for or have anything to do with Edelbrock. I have used some of there products on some of my old trucks and cars through the years. This Edelbrock carb works and it fixed my problem and it seems it fixed ncmountainman problem. Sorry for the rant but the FCR is a tuner carb is not true the Edelbrock is far more adjustable and easier to setup. You can adjust all the setting with out removing the carb from the bike and in minutes the adjustments are made. I know there are some people on Thumper talk that have had problems with the Edelbrock carb but I bet if you did a search you would find that it has a very high success rate.

I'm not bagging on the Edelbrock in the least as I have one I'm going to put on my 04 WR450. I was just saying some will prefer one over the other for different reasons but both carbs have there place. I for one hate tuning I just want to do a few adjustments and ride, I don't want to spend most of my ride tuning. I don't think you're being an ass ,but I don't think I made myself clear enough in what I was trying to say either.

Steve

• grayracer513

Posted April 28, 2007 - 10:38 AM

The older FCR was not as sophisticated as the later or current ones. That much is certainly true.

• YZFan

Posted April 28, 2007 - 05:47 PM

I'm not bagging on the Edelbrock in the least as I have one I'm going to put on my 04 WR450. I was just saying some will prefer one over the other for different reasons but both carbs have there place. I for one hate tuning I just want to do a few adjustments and ride, I don't want to spend most of my ride tuning. I don't think you're being an ass ,but I don't think I made myself clear enough in what I was trying to say either.

Steve

Splatt I could see you werent dogging on it that is why I put in that little remark. It just gets my goat when some of these guys on here start dogging things they have never used let alone see one. Later Rob

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.