Newbie - Should I get the WR250F or WR450F

33 replies to this topic
  • ScorpX

Posted February 22, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I am newbie to this forum and am shopping for my first bike. I grew up riding ATC's small dirt bikes. MTB's and Downhill MTB's. I have a lot of friends that ride MX and have asked them all of this to death. But now I turn to the public for opinions. Most of my buddies say get the 250, but after awhile I will want a 450. Some have told me to get the 450 and don't look back. I am wanting a bike that will last me and will perform well on Sand, Trails, and MX track. I don't see any sense in dropping 6 grand on a bike that I will want to replace, unless the 450 is way too much bike.

Opinions please.....

Thanks

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted February 22, 2007 - 12:08 PM

If you are going to ride it in sand get the 450.

• Bladerunner426

Posted February 22, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Check out SC's Post "The Final Word" for pros and cons!

• ScorpX

Posted February 22, 2007 - 04:26 PM

I did, thanks.

• MN_Paul

Posted February 22, 2007 - 05:28 PM

If money isnt an issue, get the 450 but leave it completely stock. It will act like a 250, just 10 pounds heavier. They are almost identical in most other ways except power. They when you want to trade up, just do the free mods.

Paul

• resinlips

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:49 PM

First bike? Dont forget about the used market. Thats alot of dough to throw down. And if you can get one for 6k let me know where and i'll buy a back-up! In Cali it will be at least 7.5k otd. Very very fun bike but the front suspension is no good for mx track.

• crooks420

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:52 PM

Get the 450...... and just man-handle that bike.

Jesse

• Seabass

Posted February 23, 2007 - 09:03 AM

I've ridden both bikes and though the 250 was fun while I was messing around I wouldn't want to do any serious riding on one. I'm a bigger guy (6'2", 235 lbs) and that 250 just can't handle serious hills and sand. If you're on the smaller side the 250 may be the bike for you, but I wonder how long you'll ride it and start wanting more power. The 450 doesn't have a monstrous hit at all. I used to ride a KX 500 with a Rocket Rex piston kit and that beast would rip the arms outta yer sockets.

I felt the 450 was a little more forgiving. It's always got power to get you outta trouble. The 250 you'll have to rev it out much more to keep the power up.

• Canuck

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:28 AM

I have both. Depending on your size and intended use, the decision will become clear. If you into hill climbing, dunes, and enduros the 450 hands down as the extra power is bonus. 250f is can be timed yz and raced mx if you revalve the suspension. 250f is lighter, great for tight enduros and jumping especially if you are under 6ft. tall. I like both but ride the 450 almost exclusively. Ask yourself if riding an R1 on the street, could you go back to a 600?

• ETP

Posted February 24, 2007 - 07:57 AM

If money isnt an issue, get the 450 but leave it completely stock. It will act like a 250, just 10 pounds heavier. They are almost identical in most other ways except power. They when you want to trade up, just do the free mods.

Paul

This is a great idea to consider. I feel a beginner should ride a smaller bore bike until he gets some experience.
I rode a 250 at first and out grew it within a year. Then I had to sell it and get a bike with more power.
Sounds like a cost effective concept.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1BLUEsky

Posted February 24, 2007 - 09:25 AM

Dont get the 250 just because your new to riding.I learned on a 1980 IT 250 with probably 10-15 Hp for several months then took a big jump to the WR 450 without any problems.It just takes seat time.The 450s are very mellow stock and if you find one with the free mods done you can always hook the grey wire back up for a tamer feeling.I would hate to ride a 250 in the sand, it would give me that sad feeling I get for mechanical things that are being abused:cry:

• farmerjohn42

Posted February 24, 2007 - 10:44 AM

I have both. Depending on your size and intended use, the decision will become clear. If you into hill climbing, dunes, and enduros the 450 hands down as the extra power is bonus. 250f is can be timed yz and raced mx if you revalve the suspension. 250f is lighter, great for tight enduros and jumping especially if you are under 6ft. tall. I like both but ride the 450 almost exclusively. Ask yourself if riding an R1 on the street, could you go back to a 600?

Canuck is spot on. Each bike excells in different riding conditions. Since you are in Calif. you won't have the tight conditions of the East Coast. What will make a difference if you are a bigger person, the 250f will have to be modified to give the response you will desire. Either way you will get used to the luggablity of the 450 or learn to keep the 250f in the upper rpms. I do agree with Canuck the bike I pull out of the garage the most is the bigger bike. Although it always amazes me about how flickable and how responsive the 250f can be when in the upper rpms. Keep in mind you do have riding experience riding in the dirt, so adjusting to two wheels again will be easy. The bigger bike will be the better choice. When I bought my crotch rocket, everyone told me I needed a 600 to learn on, even though I had dirt bike experience, after about 150 miles, I realized the basics were the same (clutch, brake, throttle) I could of handled a bigger bike with no problems. Moral of story, do what makes you happy in the end and don't wring out the throttle too much at first (or you find yourself showing off for your friends.)

• farmerjohn42

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:01 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=473960

• MTrowbridge

Posted February 24, 2007 - 07:39 PM

The main questions are; (1) How much do you weigh, and (4) Where will you ride most?

I rode 20 years ago on mini bikes (YZ80, etc) and then didn't ride for many years. Two years ago, I bought a WR450 and love it. I'm 5' 10" and weigh 195 (ok, I could diet a little more...). A 4 stroke 250 wouldn't be enough for me. I've been riding once or twice every week since, and the bike and I get along great.

If you weigh more than 190 lbs, don't waste time on a WR250...unless you ride PRIMARILY in slow, tight, or muddy conditions where the bike's horsepower is less important than being able to muscle it around. If you ride in typical California desert or forest conditions though, you'll love the extra power of the 450.

If you weigh less than 190, a 250 might be a better fit...especially if you do ride in tight conditions.

• ScorpX

Posted February 26, 2007 - 10:44 AM

I am 5'8 210.lbs, and want to ride everywhere. I live in Folsom CA, close to Hangtown. Sooo I want to ride there, Pismo, Glamis, Nor Cal trails, Nevada, etc. Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I will be going for a 450, I really hate to buy and underpowered bike and have to get ride of it in a year or so. If I am gonna spend the dough, I wanna ride all year round just about anywhere. :applause:

• martymart

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:19 PM

For a first dirt bike, DO NOT buy new. Buy a used bike first because you are going to beat the crap out of it with all the spills. Save your money. I first bought a 1985 CR250 smoker until the top end melted away. Then I bought a new WR450 after I knew what type of riding I really enjoyed.

• Lava

Posted February 28, 2007 - 04:47 AM

If it is your first bike, the 4 strokes are great to learn on because of the extra torque. If you ride mostly sand, you won't get any more fun than blasting around on a 2 stroke.

As for the 250f - 450f thing, unless you weigh around 150lbs, the 450 is really the only option. I think everyone here will agree that the wr450f is easy to ride / learn on, just needs the free mods done and you got one mother of a learner bike!!! :applause:

• Bamster

Posted February 28, 2007 - 07:56 AM

The only way I would say get the 250 is if you ride lots of tight single track and are uder 180 pounds.
Thats the only place the 250 outshines the 450.

• WR250James

Posted February 28, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Throw down the money extra 800 and get the 450

• muffinman

Posted March 01, 2007 - 01:44 AM

man i dissagree get the 250f bike is great to ride and learn on. i got friends with bigger bikes and i keep up fine, even have them chasing me:eek: once your capable with jumps getting front up at will, log hopping, turning :applause: then go get your dream bike because thats what the 2007 wr 450 is. remember its 90% rider 10% bike. otherwise your going to be the dude on the bling 450 that everyone is ripping past:mad: go borrow 1 of your mates 250f and if that doesnt impress you even in sand, theres something wrong:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.