'99 WR400 or '01WR426?

7 replies to this topic
  • harjp1959

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:20 AM

Any known issues or problems with either? Looking primarily for reliability. Both have more power than I'll use. What do you guys think?

Assuming both have low hours and are in good shape, which one would you buy?

• SXP

Posted February 22, 2007 - 09:14 AM

Any known issues or problems with either? Looking primarily for reliability. Both have more power than I'll use. What do you guys think?

Assuming both have low hours and are in good shape, which one would you buy?

The 01. Better resale vale when you do decide to sell.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted February 22, 2007 - 10:54 AM

The '99 has the first gen FCR carb which has known slider cracking issues. If the bike runs ok, then it's not cracked but it can happen without warning. The '01 has the next generation FCR carb which hasn't had the cracking problem as far as I know.

The '01 is an all-around better/improved model. One of the best WR model years in my opinion. The 426 was released with an upgraded lighting coil with more wattage than the '99.

Check for damage under the swingarm chain guard and for cracks in the subframes on both bikes. Both of these items can be fixed but may factor into the selling price.

• JDrooster

Posted February 22, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Just curious here...Do the 400's have steel valves while the 426's have Ti valves? I thought I heard someone mention that the older 400 valve train was a tad more durable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted February 22, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Yes, the 01 does have a better carb and more cc's. My choice 426.

• trav298

Posted February 22, 2007 - 05:54 PM

yes the 400 does have steel valves and the 01 titanium. 400 has stronger valve drivetrain

• Max_Aus

Posted February 27, 2007 - 01:06 AM

I have ridden both, I have a 426 and my mate has a 400 and I do prefer the 426, very punchy engine, feels faster but that might be my imagination, both are good bikes.

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 27, 2007 - 03:27 AM

I bought an 01 426 and love it..geared it down a little for the singletrack..Suits my needs perfectly....When I rebuild it Im going to put stainless valves in it...I check the valves once a year...make a minor adjustment..still runs great..Out at sycamore its 2nd and 3rd up everything..Bike is like a tractor..for a clean 01....2700.00 max..Just remember for a complete rebuild you may have to spend a few hundred bucks...but, you should be good for another 3 hundred hours....depending on how hard you ride it..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.