Zip Ty problem

4 replies to this topic
  • John221ex

Posted February 22, 2007 - 06:37 AM

In trying to install the the mixture screw, I was unable to remove the stock screw. The float bowl had to be removed to get it out. Then, the new Zip Ty would not go in with the bowl on. Apparently there is some misalignment which prevents the threads from making contact with the seat.
Am I missing something obvious, or is it not meant to work the 400 carb?

John

• clark4131

Posted February 22, 2007 - 06:47 AM

There are two types of Zip-Ty screws for the Yamaha based on the year. This is the one you need according to the website. Did you get the right one?...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted February 22, 2007 - 06:54 AM

In trying to install the the mixture screw, I was unable to remove the stock screw. The float bowl had to be removed to get it out. Then, the new Zip Ty would not go in with the bowl on. Apparently there is some misalignment which prevents the threads from making contact with the seat.
Am I missing something obvious, or is it not meant to work the 400 carb?

John

There's no problem, this is normal. The screw will not come out with the float bowl in place. What you have to do is, remove the float bowl and use a drill (can't remember what size - use the next size up from the bit that easily slides in and out of the fuel screw hole in the float bowl) and ream out the hole in the float bowl - it doesn't take much. You can then completely remove and install the fuel screw with the bowl in place. I've had to do this on the three WR's I own.

• John221ex

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:41 AM

I did try reaming it somewhat, but I still can't get even the stocker to go in that way.
No, I didn't know about the earlier version of the Zip-Ty. That's why I'm here! Thanks!

John

• SXP

Posted February 22, 2007 - 07:51 AM

I did try reaming it somewhat, but I still can't get even the stocker to go in that way.
No, I didn't know about the earlier version of the Zip-Ty. That's why I'm here! Thanks!

John

You might try keeping the float bowl bolts a little loose while working the fuel screw in so there's some slop, and once in, tighten the bolts up.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.