xrl dies when in gear

11 replies to this topic
  • elrontx

Posted February 21, 2007 - 07:17 PM

i was on a short street ride with my 05xr650L and when I got off the highway downshifted and the bike died. I started it up and 10 min later it died again and it wouldnt start not even crank. the bike started in nuteral no problem but when I put the bike in gear it instantly died.5 min later the bike ran fine but the same thing happened when I got near home. the bike doesent appear to be overheating,has oil and is stock except 14t countershaft sproket and dot tires and no tank scoops due to hitting a tree.hopefully its just the saftey kickstand switch. any suggestions guys?the bike has 6100 miles on it.

• xrltim

Posted February 21, 2007 - 07:55 PM

Same kind of thing happened to my bike shortly after I bought it. I got a real hard time from a friend of mine who is totally against electric start dirt bikes. He was laughing it up as I was pulling off the seat to check the electrics. I found the ground cable under the seat was loose. Tightened it up and everything went back to normal. So, check your battery connections and that one bolt under the seat that connects the frame to your electrical system. I removed the kickstand switch as well after coming down from a big jump and having the motor die on me cuz the kickstand went down. I was gonna remove the clutch switch also but haven't ever heard of anyone having any problems with it so I haven't.

• elrontx

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:35 PM

how do you remove the kickstand switch ? I was gonna just cut the kickstand switch wire and tape them together.

• xrltim

Posted February 22, 2007 - 06:53 AM

Follow the wires up to where they connect to the harness, then make a jumper with electrical connectors and jump it out there. You might have to meter the switch to figure out which two wires need to be connected together but it isn't hard. If you jump it there at the connector it'll be less likely to come loose while riding and leave you stranded.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 22, 2007 - 09:10 AM

You can bypass all the safeties for a test by grounding both wires that go to the clutch-lever switch.

Dave

• elrontx

Posted February 23, 2007 - 07:10 AM

You can bypass all the safeties for a test by grounding both wires that go to the clutch-lever switch.

Dave

I braided both of those clutch wires together and put electrical tape on it.isnt that grounding it?''yes I know im an idoit''. the bike still wont start with the kickstand down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hondathumper450

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Grounding would require both wires touching or connected to the frame

• elrontx

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:25 PM

I bypassed the kickstand switch and I went for a quick ride and the bike ran fine. Ill take it for a longer ride to make sure thats the problem.

• ljkp2004

Posted February 25, 2007 - 10:24 PM

ron stick the wires in your mouth or on your tounge and turn power on and crank the bike with kickstand up and tell me what happens ,after that then maybe i could tell u what ur problem might be good luck squid :applause:

• elrontx

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:08 AM

ron stick the wires in your mouth or on your tounge and turn power on and crank the bike with kickstand up and tell me what happens ,after that then maybe i could tell u what ur problem might be good luck squid :applause:

larry go to the DR fourm you're not welcome here. guys he rides a DR 110 because hes only 5'1.:applause:

• MartinDKtm

Posted February 26, 2007 - 06:50 AM

You have to ti together the 2 green wires that goes to the side stand switch. Leave the yellow alone. Its for the stand light on the dash board.

Martin

• elrontx

Posted February 26, 2007 - 07:09 AM

You have to ti together the 2 green wires that goes to the side stand switch. Leave the yellow alone. Its for the stand light on the dash board.

Martin

thanks I did it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.