new tire mounting problems, possible bad tire?

8 replies to this topic
  • flubber

Posted February 21, 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi all. I just received my new set of continental tkc-80s for my xr650L. I took the rims off and took them to my local dealer to be mounted. I promtly went home and put them back on the bike. After mounting the rear I turned the tire to see if there were any high spots on the tire. Theres definately a high spot. Its very apparent. You can look at the little mark on the tire just outside of where the bead is. On the one side its outside the rim and on the other side that little line is not even visible. Its under the rim. Did my dealer mount my tire poorly or is the tire bad? Is there anything I can try? I did let some air out and kneaded the tire all around hoping to rememdy the problem. It didnt work. I ordered the tires from tires unlimited and they said the tires were first quality. What gives?? :applause:

• motomonte

Posted February 21, 2007 - 06:30 PM

I had the same problem when I mounted the front had high spots and the bead never seated fully ,in fact there were two places one on each side of the tire.enough to say that this caused the bike to be very unstable at high speed (read ; possible cause of the last tankslapper:eek: )I tried many ways and finally took it to a tire shop.turned out that the tire needed some lube between the tire and rim,the guy just used dishwashing fluid and the tire just popped right out.maybe this can help you.good luck:thumbsup:

• stoney55

Posted February 21, 2007 - 06:38 PM

let the air completely out of the tire, break the bead, spray some windex on the bead and re inflate. over inflate it and it should pop out. (maybe 40-50lbs max) make sure you loosen the bead lock too. sometimes tapping it with a mallet will work as well. remember to deflate after so your not riding a rock.

• xrltim

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:08 PM

Like Stoney55 says, deflate, put a little lube (soapy water) on both sides, then pump it up to 50 psi or so. Let it sit a few minute and you'll probably see them pop right out. And, I wouldn't get anymore tires done at that shop if I were you, this is something they should have ensured was right. It really isn't that hard to do them yourself. Go get a $20 set of tire irons ( the longer the better ) and give it a shot.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flubber

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hey fellas, got it taken care of. Thanks alot for the help. Someone on advrider recommended bouncing the tire on the floor. It worked. That and lots of lube. :applause:

I am going back to the dealer tomorrow and showing them the rim. Its gonna be my word against theirs but at the bare minimum im hoping the mechanic gets his ass chewed out. Ive only had a few tires mounted in the past and this has never happened.

Now all I need to do is get a decent set of spoons and do this sh*t myself. If you want anything done right now adays 'ya have to do it yourself.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 22, 2007 - 01:49 PM

yuppers - best to mount em yerself. I use the tire black stuff made by turtle wax as a lube works great!

• creeky

Posted February 22, 2007 - 03:07 PM

Best thing I have found for bead lube is GO-JO cream hand cleaner.

• flubber

Posted February 24, 2007 - 12:27 AM

It was a no go at the dealer. I showed him the rim and he looked at me and said "what do you want me to do with this" I replied "your mechanic did this, I would like you to replace my rim" "prove it" "ok, at the very least give me my money back. You didnt set the bead, put the tire on backwards and dinged my perfect rim." "ill reverse your tire for you" "if you do are you gonna gouge my rim again?" Then steam came out of his ears. As politely as I could I said a few things I wont say on here and walked out. He knew they fouled up. The super fresh shiney gouges were the proof and he knew it. Be a man, admit you and your business made a mistake 'ya loser. To bad he didnt know I probably was gonna but a vstrom from his this summer.

• creeky

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:54 AM

Unfortunately this is not an isolated problem. I have worked on quite a few XRs on which dealers had screwed something up, all the way from what you describe to installing piston rings incorrectly. If you are going to have a dealer do work, question the shop guy extensively to make sure he knows what he is doing.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.