Trail Tech Helmet Lights....

12 replies to this topic
  • slammmin72

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:51 PM

i am looking into getting the Trail Tech HID helmet lighting kit so that i can ride at night. i never really liked the look of the front numberplate light so i figure the next best place is on the helmet (plus it makes sense....the light is always where ur looking) the thing is....i can buy a battery for 170 with charger and it will only last about 2 hours with both helmet lights on (1 flood and 1 spot light) or i can buy a lighting stator for the exact same price. my quesition is....can it be powered off that lighting stator(it claims 55 watts, and each HID only pulls about 13) i just dont know how the wires would line up, and if it puts out DC current. btw, its a 02 YZ426, and the lighting stator is a "Electrex USA High Output Lighting Stator 50 Watt" also will i need a voltage regulator? thanks again.

• INJURY_69

Posted February 20, 2007 - 10:10 PM

the voltage regulator will spit a an "unclean" DC signal. you will still need a battery or a capacitor to get a "clean" DC signal to run the HD's.

• AlkalineOne

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:14 PM

i dont know a thing about getting the power from the bike, but i went with the battery on this setup, and it is a slight hassel to lug it around.

one comment on the light set-up... i tried the 1 spot, 1 flood set-up, and wasn't very pleased. the umbra(bright spot) of the spot light projected the same size light as the flood. therefore; overlapping the lights would give you one "small" spot. i'd recommend going with two (brighter) spots, and set them up side by side for a wider/brighter light.

just a suggestion. i was able to exchange my flood for a spot after the sale.
trail teck is great to work with, and they will help you out as best as possible.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:17 PM

Use a battery or when you kill the bike on a down hill even for just a split second the lights go out until you restart the ballasts... very scarey !

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:01 AM

By default, the stator produces AC current. You don't want to connect that to a battery at all unless you use a rectifier (converts AC to DC).

• TrailTech

Posted February 21, 2007 - 11:18 AM

If I could only have one light, it would be a helmet light.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slammmin72

Posted February 21, 2007 - 07:50 PM

so what would i need if i ran it off the stator....the stator, a capacitor,a rectifier, and what else? maybe a spare batery just incase.

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Light Kit, Battery, Regulator/Rectifier and someone smart enough to hook it up.

Why not just call TrailTech and order what you need ?

Whats the point of having strangers on a forum tell you what to tell TrailTech what you need. They are there... waiting by the phone... CALL THEM.

• slammmin72

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:36 PM

will do. thanks everyone. ive already been contacting htem through Email, and they are extremely helpful. thanks again to everyone in teh forum here

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:41 PM

If you get stuck and need technical assistance ask for Jeff !

• TrailTech

Posted February 22, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the nice comments!

Jeff is a very good technial support person . If he can not help you (not likely), ask for Geoff. I am the mechanical engineer.

I would recommend a MR16 HID on your helmet (my personal favorite light). It includes a bar clamp so you can put it on your bars if you dont want it on your helmet.

Making any light work on the YZ is very expensive as the electrical system is very hard to upgrade. A stator, reg/rec and battery/capacitor can run up to $1k. Not a good investment unless you plan to keep the bike for many years.

Our currrent portable battery (3.7 Ah) will run the MR16 for about 100 minutes.

We have a new battery in the works (7.2 Ah) that will run the MR16 for 3 hours. The battery is small enough to put in your pocket. With the light output and size, it is likely the least expensive option for putting a good light on a YZ.

David Knight won the Red Bull Last Man Standing running this light on his bars. Funny thing is David actually had one of our 8" race lights on the bike and he forgot to turn it on! Look close at the cover of Dirt Rider (maybe Dirt Bike...sorry) and you will se our 8" race light on the front of the bike and our MR16 on the bars. You will see the 8" light is out (and no, it is not dead - he did turn it on at the finish). The little MR16 light is not the output of an 8" but the point is that if your focused on winning a race, the MR16 will give you enough light to do the job.

• slammmin72

Posted February 22, 2007 - 08:31 PM

will the 7.2 Ah be avalible soon? and what about an 8" running of its own battery? or does it require DC voltage

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 22, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the nice comments!

Jeff is a very good technial support person . If he can not help you (not likely), ask for Geoff. I am the mechanical engineer.

I would recommend a MR16 HID on your helmet (my personal favorite light). It includes a bar clamp so you can put it on your bars if you dont want it on your helmet.

Making any light work on the YZ is very expensive as the electrical system is very hard to upgrade. A stator, reg/rec and battery/capacitor can run up to $1k. Not a good investment unless you plan to keep the bike for many years.

Our currrent portable battery (3.7 Ah) will run the MR16 for about 100 minutes.

We have a new battery in the works (7.2 Ah) that will run the MR16 for 3 hours. The battery is small enough to put in your pocket. With the light output and size, it is likely the least expensive option for putting a good light on a YZ.

David Knight won the Red Bull Last Man Standing running this light on his bars. Funny thing is David actually had one of our 8" race lights on the bike and he forgot to turn it on! Look close at the cover of Dirt Rider (maybe Dirt Bike...sorry) and you will se our 8" race light on the front of the bike and our MR16 on the bars. You will see the 8" light is out (and no, it is not dead - he did turn it on at the finish). The little MR16 light is not the output of an 8" but the point is that if your focused on winning a race, the MR16 will give you enough light to do the job.

Geoff another option is set the bike up with a small lead acid battery with 12 to 20 AH and take all of the battery weight off the rider. It doesn't have to be charged by the bike to be strapped to it. You are gonna have to charge that pocket battery between rides anyway. A larger battery on the bike is still very small and will last the weekend. Go home and charge it and ride again. Or charge it at camp overnight. Best of all they are VERY CHEAP and last a long time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.