TPS on an '06 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • m4crampt

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:18 PM

I'm sending my carb out to Zip Ty Racing tomorrow, and while removing my carb I unscrewed the TPS. I've heard that this can be a major pain in the a$$ to readjust once I reinstall my carb. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help.

• Ga450owner

Posted February 21, 2007 - 05:39 AM

I'm sending my carb out to Zip Ty Racing tomorrow, and while removing my carb I unscrewed the TPS. I've heard that this can be a major pain in the a$$ to readjust once I reinstall my carb. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help.

I made the same mistake...and it is a real pain in the ass to recalibrate, period end

Nothing you can do until you reinstall except get ready to buy a decent voltmeter and work on your patience level....this task will try it to the max. Also intall the TPS on the carb with the screw hand tight - you will need to have the movement here to set / calibrate the TPS voltage.
When you reinstall the carb - make sure the subframe top bolt is connected, barely one one end, but loose all other bolts removed.
preinstall the carb into the front boot - to the cylinder - keep it relatively loose
you will need to get gas into the carb - as well as start it - it will only start with both cylinder and air boot/airfilter side attached and gas in the carb - remove the rear airboot clamp - otherwise you will destroy it. Also no need to install cables yet - but hot start plunger needs to be installed and the TPS Coupler
I got gas to the carb through the fuel line by just laying the tank on top of the frame - no install, just open fuel petcock to open position and close when carb is full and then remove the gas tank completely. The subframe at this point is loose and not connected except with top bolt - no nut - airboot is on carb.
Start the bike - immediately get the voltmeter out per the instructions in the manual pg 6-9 TPS Replacement and Adjustment. Insert the conductors per instruction into the TPS coupler - check the DCV voltage output. The range to calibrate the TPS is 0.58-0.78 V (DCV)
You will have to move the TPS at the carb to get this range (remember it is loose and moves about 1/8 of a inch or more) It is almost too tight in there to get your hands in...the pain in the ass part, - here is where it helps to have a 2nd set of hands. Once the voltmenter has this range showing, You will need to make a mark on the top of the TPS and the Carb with either a perminant marker or blade making sure the TPS does not move at all - the tricky part.
Remember you only have a very little amount of gas in the carb so check and double check the settings 2-3 times. Once you are comfortable the scribed marks = the correct voltage range, mark the TPS and the Carb - you remove the entire carb again tighten the TPS screw - with the marks aligning and reinstall, regas and double check the voltage range...if you are lucky it will show the same voltage range. If not start all over. When the voltage range is the same after tightening the TPS screw - reinstall the carb - tighten the boots (remember to reinstall the rear clamp at this time) Removing the entire Subframe, rear fender - makes it easier to reinstall the boot into the carb - then install the top bolts and side bolts.
The marks on the TPS and Carb will always be the ideal Voltage range - if you or another rider does this again.....

Good luck....:applause:

• m4crampt

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the help GA450owner, sounds like I'm in for it.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help GA450owner, sounds like I'm in for it.

anytime.....at least once you do it for yourself.....you will know more about the bike than a lot of other people.....
Just be patient is is not that bad.....:applause:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:49 PM

That sounds like a big enough pain in the ass that I'd just leave the damn thing unplugged!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Or, leave it on the carb.

Alternatively, place a light punch mark on the carb, and a correspoding index on the TPS, and just put it back where it was in the first place.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 22, 2007 - 05:40 AM

Or, leave it on the carb.

Alternatively, place a light punch mark on the carb, and a correspoding index on the TPS, and just put it back where it was in the first place.

yep this is the correct way....I should have done this the first time:thumbsup:

• m4crampt

Posted February 22, 2007 - 03:41 PM

I really appreciate the help guys, just sent the carb in to zip ty yesterday. Can't wait to get it back and start the fun.

• Gary Murray

Posted February 23, 2007 - 09:05 PM

I also accidentally removed my TPS before I learned not to. I read your detailed instructions to re-install but I do not have the manual you referred to for hooking up the leads to test voltage. Which wires do I use?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2007 - 12:56 AM

The yellow and black. They must be back probed, that is, the test leads are slid under the insulation of the connector while the connector is connected and the bike running.

Download a manual here:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• Ga426owner

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:20 AM

The yellow and black. They must be back probed, that is, the test leads are slid under the insulation of the connector while the connector is connected and the bike running.

Download a manual here:

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Greyracer - seems like this may start becoming contagious...any way of adding a Sticky or something like "WARNING WILL ROBINSON" or this, "DO NOT EVER REMOVE THESE"
or "PAINS IN SELF-REPAIR" :applause: :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.