Kick Start

10 replies to this topic
  • billybow

Posted February 20, 2007 - 02:50 PM

:lol: hey guys I ned some major help, I have a 2005 YZ450F, after a day of riding the other day came home and put the bike up after cleaning, went out to crank it today and when I kick the kickstart it stays down, even after the engine is running, after it does start and I pull the kickstart back up it makes a grinding noise, nothing seems out of the normal except that. What can I do to fix this or is this something that I can fix, or should I take it to the shop and let them have it. I hav e a big riding day scheduled for this next Monday and really dont want to miss this.... If you can help in anyway please let me know!!

Thanks
Billy :applause: :applause:

• YamaHonda

Posted February 20, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I'd take it apart and see how it looks under the cover. It could be just the lever coming loose and binding a bit on the return (happened to a CRF I had). Hard to say without the cover off though.

• bigbluerider4life

Posted February 20, 2007 - 04:23 PM

that little grinding sound is normal...just means the gears are moving and the kickstart isn't, as long as you pull it up right away itll be fine

go ride...lube it up, probably needs it...go ride

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2007 - 04:27 PM

Bad advice. If it continues to make a ratcheting noise after the laver is returned, something is amiss. Open it up before something lets go and breaks a crankcase.

• billybow

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Well the bad news is I did open her up, and then the shock of it all hit me.

Posted Image

Notice the kick start gear, I cleaned out all of the metal shavings and noticed a big part broke off behind that gear, that looks like it stablizes the gear it was also broke. I dont know how this ever broke as it is VERY thick metal. Well it broke, so I put everything back together and it is going to the shop tomorrow.

Does anyone have any idea of what this will cost me?

Thanks
Billy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ISBB

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Broken parts YUMM... Get ahold of harry at the TT OEM store get the parts you need and do the work yourself :applause:

• King_Air

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:57 PM

that little grinding sound is normal...just means the gears are moving and the kickstart isn't, as long as you pull it up right away itll be fine

go ride...lube it up, probably needs it...go ride

IMHO grinding noises are not usually normal when dealing with gears and such:banghead: . Just a thought. :applause:

• MDS55

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Well the bad news is I did open her up, and then the shock of it all hit me.

Posted Image

Notice the kick start gear, I cleaned out all of the metal shavings and noticed a big part broke off behind that gear, that looks like it stablizes the gear it was also broke. I dont know how this ever broke as it is VERY thick metal. Well it broke, so I put everything back together and it is going to the shop tomorrow.

Does anyone have any idea of what this will cost me?

Thanks
Billy

A lot less than it was going to cost had you listened to BigBlue.

• billybow

Posted February 21, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Well I took her in today, 350.00 is the damage!!! So thanks to all of you, and thank goodness I didnt listen to bigblue. :applause:

Billy

• Gerry B

Posted February 21, 2007 - 07:17 PM

I just replaced the same part on an 01 yz250f. The part was $150.00

• slammmin72

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:59 PM

i had a similar problem happen to my YZ 250..cept i was out int ehtrail when i heard a loud clanking noise...ended up being teh water pump gear, broke about 4 teeth off..not sure how, but yea, the idea of those little pieces of gear swiming htrough the motor forced me to split hte whole motor and replace all the bearings in it and all new seals.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.