Antifreeze leaking from hose

2 replies to this topic
  • Leelandc

Posted February 20, 2007 - 12:53 PM

I have a 2001 YZF426, and before i put it away for the winter, I started up the bike,(hard time doing...very cold!), and put fuel stabilizer in it and let it idle/run for a while. The next thing I look and there is a puddle of antifreeze under the bike dripping from one of the hoses. When you revved the bike up, it came out faster too! What would be causing this? It was a very cold day, so is there a chance that maybe the water was frozen in the radiator??..any info would be nice!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2007 - 01:00 PM

"Letting it run for a while" is the likely cause. The big four stroke water cooled bikes do not suffer stationary idling well at all, and anything longer than a minute is pretty much asking for a boil over.

If it's cold enough, you should check the anti-freeze protection in the bike. Allowing the coolant to freeze can cause serious radiator damage due to the expansion of water as it turns to ice.

• kingotone

Posted February 20, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like the hose coming off the water pump is loose (more rpm, bigger leak). Check all the hose clamps. If thats not it, and it was not coming from the radiator overflow from overheat, you've got way bigger problems.:applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.