400, 426 need help

17 replies to this topic
  • jaydizel

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:55 AM

I wanna buy a bike. I'm lookin at 2000 yz400 for $2100 has low hours..then I'm lookin at 2001 426yz for $1600 w/ alot of hours. if i buy the 426 am i goin to dump money into this bike or well it last.
jason

• MDS55

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I have a 99 400f, it is absolutley a great bike. I bought it about 8 months ago and couldn't be happier. :applause:

• tammie

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:02 AM

there is no 2000 yz400 you mean 1999 yz400 or 2000 y426? there is a 2000 wr400 .......yz426 starting in year 2000, the yz400's were only 1998-1999

i have a 1999 yz400 for 5 seasons now and its been bullet proof with standard maintenance.......

• jaydizel

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:07 AM

thank you for the reply's
i just read that about the 2000's. I'm goin to call the guy again

• jaydizel

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:47 PM

i bought the cheaper one of the two. i hope i don't get what i payed for. i just hope i got a really good deal. their two front spokes gone but, the rim is straight. this thing is a bitch to start.
jason

• BuckHopkins

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:57 PM

I bought an 01 426 for 1500 bucks from a fat guy who tried racing motorcross but found out he wrecks too much! it had: broken levers no seat, no head pipe, blown shocks and siezed bearings in the swingarm. it hadnt ran in 2 years.. it took me 300 bucks to fix all of its problems including a new seat and FMF powerbomb headpipe (EBAY is great) and it fired up after 5 kicks! Runs like a champ and havent done anything but ride and change the oil in it!:applause:

• westrider03

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:58 PM

this thing is a bitch to start. jason

It shouldn't be. I have a 99WR400 and it never takes more than two kicks to start it.
Is this your first bike?
If so, learn the procedure for starting it and it won't be hard to start. Also, if you perform good maintenance you will be rewarded with a great machine for years to come.:applause:
I have owned my bike for four years now and it has been an excellent bike.
I hope you have a good experience with yours.
Don't forget to post up some pics.
Cameron

• jaydizel

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:56 PM

It shouldn't be. I have a 99WR400 and it never takes more than two kicks to start it.
Is this your first bike?
If so, learn the procedure for starting it and it won't be hard to start. Also, if you perform good maintenance you will be rewarded with a great machine for years to come.:applause:
I have owned my bike for four years now and it has been an excellent bike.
I hope you have a good experience with yours.
Don't forget to post up some pics.
Cameron

cameron
i just bought the bike and it's my first fourstroke.
plz tell me the procedure!!!
I'm going to post pics, before n after. I've never seen sooo many stickers on a bike...
jason
thanks for the replys

• jaydizel

Posted February 20, 2007 - 10:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BuckHopkins

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Looks better than mide did when i bought it! it looks like it needs a good wash and some pledge on the plastics and she will shine! also i would take some of the stickers off, (not like all those companies are paying you to advertise for them!) Just my opinion!

the startup procedure..
1- turn on the gas (i forgot this my first time)
2- pull the black plunger on the carb (cold choke)
3- kick the kicker untel it gets really hard to kick (about 1-2 revolutions) then let it return to top.
4- pull in the decompression lever(the little black one)
5-kick it down VERY GENTLY i think the book sez 22 degrees i'd say about 6 inches from top and stop!
6-release the decompression lever and let the kicker return to the top
7- kick it, full stroke as hard as you can! (no throttle in neutral)
if it doesnt fire repeat steps 3-7
it takes some getting used to!
Good Luck!

• Kyle Prior

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Those arent all individual stickers FYI, they are part of a boost mobile graphics package. Search the board for 426 starting procedures, and youll find a ton of info to make starting a lot easier for you. Youll also love the bike, as they have a pretty smooth powerband and gobs of power.

• rdefonce

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:29 AM

cameron
i just bought the bike and it's my first fourstroke.
plz tell me the procedure!!!
I'm going to post pics, before n after. I've never seen sooo many stickers on a bike...
jason
thanks for the replys

Yeah, starting these ain't the easiest thing. Gotta have the routine down.

One thing people have done; install the auto compression release from 1 or 2 year newer bikes (it's part of the camshaft I believe, and it fits fine according to what I've read on this site.)

• jaydizel

Posted February 21, 2007 - 10:37 AM

thanks for all the input....
whats this talk about removing the tps or the (neutral.something) for easier starts

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 11:22 AM

TPS and blue wire (neutral switch): (also search both topics, there is a lot of discussion about it)

http://www.thumperta...894#post4405894

The DCM, as it was once known (Decompression Cam Mod) is the absolute best single thing you could do to any YZ400/426 to make it more fun to live with. It consists of nothing more complicated than replacing the existing exhaust cam with one from either an '03-5 YZ450, or an after market unit made for the 426, such as those from Hot Cams.

If you use the OEM 450 cam, use these instructions:

http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

• jaydizel

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:43 PM

i took off most of the stickers, left the ones on the shrouds and numbers for now. changed the oil and spark plug cleaned the air filter...i guess rust is normal on the plug, washed it, greased the front and rear bearing's. bought nuts and bolts that were missing. next I'm taking it out for a ride. the bike starts no problem now. i thank everone for all info
jason

• westrider03

Posted February 27, 2007 - 10:39 PM

jaydizel-

BuckHopkins
the startup procedure..
1- turn on the gas (i forgot this my first time)
2- pull the black plunger on the carb (cold choke)
3- kick the kicker untel it gets really hard to kick (about 1-2 revolutions) then let it return to top.
4- pull in the decompression lever(the little black one)
5-kick it down VERY GENTLY i think the book sez 22 degrees i'd say about 6 inches from top and stop!
6-release the decompression lever and let the kicker return to the top
7- kick it, full stroke as hard as you can! (no throttle in neutral)
if it doesnt fire repeat steps 3-7
it takes some getting used to!
Good Luck!

That is the correct startup procedure.

As for the rust on the spark plug, is it on the electrode or on the outside part of the plug where the wrench goes? On the outside is normal from water getting on it when it is washed. To prevent that, after washing the bike, ride it around for a bit to warm up the engine to evaporate any water.
Good luck!

Cameron

• jaydizel

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:51 PM

sold my bike last week for $2,200...bought it feb 27 for $1,600. rode my friends crf 450 at the track, case closed. Bought a 05crf450 w/ some lovely mod's $3,300 what a deal. thought I'd post some pic's.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• kevin nichols

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Ya, go with the sequential procedure, get used to it and kick it like a man. Works for mine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.