The 'Honda Special' 2006 Baja 1000 bike confirmed.

10 replies to this topic
  • Thumpage

Posted February 19, 2007 - 11:23 PM

Honda's special 2006 Baja 1000 450 is shown and detailed in the march issue of Dirt Rider. Page 28. Quite a list and assortment of special hardware and features. It is more a true factory bike. Quote: "It was hand-built by a team of Honda engineers on their own time".
1) Special custom built frame with it's own VIN number and it's own specific steering head tube with Baja light bracket mount.
2) A beefy oil cooler.
3) Factory high output ignition jutting out of the left case and shroud.
4) Custom built poly skid plate.
5) Wheel balancing spoke weights.
6) Trick little steering dampers you can barely see.
7) 130 series rear tire.
:applause:
Who knows what trickery was done to the motor on the inside.

• George_Felix

Posted February 20, 2007 - 07:46 AM

That would make for an interesting read. However, I think those long distance races are won on suspension, durability, preparation, and above all else rider endurance and skill plus a little luck.

In any forum there seems to be more emphasis on horsepower than is really deserved except for maybe small bore engines.

• Thumpage

Posted February 20, 2007 - 09:20 AM

George,

You have a point and that is what I was in part actually refering to about the possible trickery in the motor. Durability modifications besides the possibility of being bored and/or stroked. There was also mention of the "beefy oil cooler" which would not only help cool the oil but add needed oil capacity. Again, for durability/longevity.
My other point was that the 'Honda Special' was truly a factory bike and not just a warmed over showroom bike with the extra mods added like the XR650r has been.
Suspension?, as good as the 450X's suspension may be, the bike itself naturally does not absorb as much of the terrain as the Bigger XR does. That certainly is a testament to the riders endurance to ride the lighter bike for extended races at those speeds, no doubt. Hopefully that bike is merely a test bed for a new bigger, badder, big bore bike more suited for that kind of extended use. :applause:
Those are my hopeful thoughts anyway. :applause:

• focallength

Posted February 20, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I read that article, it said a few guys from honda wanted to make the best desert bike they could. So on their own time they raided the honda parts box and pretty much scratch built a bike.

• SlickitySloan

Posted February 20, 2007 - 11:06 PM

I'm praying for a new honda big bore, CRF600X. Ya baby!

The 450 was sweet though. I wonder how it was with the loss of 50lbs over its big brother on the fast stuff on the Baja 1000? Just may have to find out for myself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billahjack

Posted February 23, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Keep in mind that the riders are a HUGE part of winning. Just give him a competetive bike that won't break and the riders can do the rest.

As far as XR650R goes, I have a couple theories.

First, the weight. I believe the XR650R is about 30 lbs heavier than the 450X in full race trim (about 300 vs 270 lbs). This affects the unsprung to sprung weight ratio. Basically you want this ratio to be as small as possible for good suspension performance. It is part of the reason sports cars have independant rear suspension versus solid axles.

Second, conventional forks. This configuration uses less mass on the unsprung side than upside down forks. This directly affects the unsprung to sprung mass ratio. Why do you think that Baja racers keep the stock forks?

• EddieTNT

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Keep in mind that the riders are a HUGE part of winning. Just give him a competetive bike that won't break and the riders can do the rest.

First, the weight. I believe the XR650R is about 30 lbs heavier than the 450X in full race trim (about 300 vs 270 lbs). This affects the unsprung to sprung weight ratio. Basically you want this ratio to be as small as possible for good suspension performance. It is part of the reason sports cars have independant rear suspension versus solid axles.

Second, conventional forks. This configuration uses less mass on the unsprung side than upside down forks. This directly affects the unsprung to sprung mass ratio. Why do you think that Baja racers keep the stock forks?

Team Honda's forks are stock only on the outside. Inside they are works units.

• Kritter

Posted February 24, 2007 - 05:59 PM

Team Honda's forks are stock only on the outside. Inside they are works units.

You can buy the same set up from precision concepts front and rear.

The motor was closer to an R then an X. No e-start, no battery either. From the horses mouth "it had the power of a 650 but the handling, suspension and agility of the 450."

• bork

Posted February 25, 2007 - 06:45 AM

I always thought the same thing about the unsprung weight in conventional forks also. But why are they such a big deal? Is it the twisting action reduced? I also heard Scott Sommers installed conventionals in a 450 . I dont know the result. Must be somethging there if he would go thru all that trouble. Maybe jeff from tireballs knows.

• EddieTNT

Posted February 25, 2007 - 02:55 PM

You can buy the same set up from precision concepts front and rear.

The motor was closer to an R then an X. No e-start, no battery either. From the horses mouth "it had the power of a 650 but the handling, suspension and agility of the 450."

The Precision Concepts stuff that you and I can buy is not what Team Honda is running. There was an article in one of the magazines (Dirt Bike or Dirt Rider don't remember) about Team Honda's 650. The article said that the fork was a one-off works unit and that is was unavailable to the public. Maybe that has changed since then?

• Thumpage

Posted February 26, 2007 - 05:24 AM

"Second, conventional forks. This configuration uses less mass on the unsprung side than upside down forks. This directly affects the unsprung to sprung mass ratio. Why do you think that Baja racers keep the stock forks?"

I think that is actually backwards if I am reading it correctly. Conventional forks should have more weight on the unsprung side, which is at the wheels. That is part of USD forks benefit over conventional forks. But, conventional forks such as in the case of the XR650R have more flex and therefore tend to absorb more of the hits from terrain and transmit less to the frame and rider than USD forks.
Also, with properly setup suspension the extra weight of the heavier XR650R should soak up the nasties more in general than the CRF. That is partly why it has been said to feel like a "Cadilac" compared to the 450s.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.