no 5th gear!!

3 replies to this topic
  • mark426f

Posted February 19, 2007 - 11:06 PM

can anybody help me, last week at three palms my 2001 yz426f would not shift
into 5th gear, it sounded like you were in neutral.

• raven-9

Posted February 20, 2007 - 12:54 AM

it's a known problem for the earlier yz's and WR's, do some searching in the yamaha forum im sure youl find lots of info on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pezman04wrx

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:01 AM

^^^ Really ... Wish I knew that before I off-loaded my 03' yz250f for the same problem ... 5th was exactly like shifting into neutral ... The kid I got the bike off of initially swore up and down that it had been like that since a rebuild and wasn't broken, just screwed up somehow by the morons who rebuilt it ... Figured it was likely a bent shift fork, but never bothered to fix it because I got a deal I couldn't refuse on an 04' yz450f ...

• grayracer513

Posted February 20, 2007 - 08:51 AM

That is going to be a hardware problem, and regardless of what it turns out to be, it will involve a complete tear down.

You're looking at gear damage of one kind or other, and it needs to be taken care of immediately, since the engine and trans oil is the same, and you do NOT want to pump the debris from a broken trans through your engine any more than necessary.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.