What Oil To Use In 06-07 YZ forks

27 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:08 AM

I'd advise leaving the cartridge assembled. Opening them up is fairly advanced, not strictly necessary, and it's not intended to be done as regular maintenance (hence the use of peening to hold the body cap on). Of course, if you were fooling around with valving, etc., then you would need to.

If you remove the peening, use either Loc-Tite or re-peen in a new spot. I'd use Loc-Tite.

• red7

Posted February 21, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Have any of you come across a "idiot's guide to servicing your forks" anywhere online? In a Roadstar forum I found one that gave you the step by step instructions along with photos and was curious if there is anything like that for an '06-07 YZ? I've taken apart my road bike's forks but am a little intimidated with my dirt bike since screwing that up could be painful on 70' landing.

Thanks!

• tammie

Posted February 21, 2007 - 03:23 PM

i bought a video on ebay from motopowervideo it goes through everything step by step from fork removal, fork dissassembly, fork cleaning, seal replacement, dissassembling of inner cartridge, fork reassably and filling the fork with oil ....
http://cgi.ebay.com/...78660803&rd=1,1

i think it was worth it, since you pay someone else over 100 to do it

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 21, 2007 - 03:39 PM

Peen and Re-Peen were on a boat. Peen fell out, who was left? I don't think I've heard that word used so much in my life!

Anyways, just to get this straight, the S1 is what Yami recommends for the '06 + bikes and the 01 is for pre-'06 forks?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve_97060

Posted February 21, 2007 - 03:43 PM

i bought a video on ebay from motopowervideo it goes through everything step by step from fork removal, fork dissassembly, fork cleaning, seal replacement, dissassembling of inner cartridge, fork reassably and filling the fork with oil ....
http://cgi.ebay.com/...78660803&rd=1,1

i think it was worth it, since you pay someone else over 100 to do it

I had looked at that one also but it doesn't cover the 06/07 yz's

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Anyways, just to get this straight, the S1 is what Yami recommends for the '06 + bikes and the 01 is for pre-'06 forks?

That is correct, and that was actually the subject of this thread, wannit?

• tmauto69

Posted February 22, 2007 - 03:45 PM

I put in Honda 5w fork oil in my '06 @ 20hrs it now has 44hrs, and I didn't notice any change in the action of the since break-in.

• red7

Posted February 22, 2007 - 10:21 PM

I had looked at that one also but it doesn't cover the 06/07 yz's

How different are the forks in that video compared to the '06 and newer? Any other videos or links you guys have to working on our suspensions?

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.