XR650l -will start -only idle with choke-backfiring

6 replies to this topic
  • TahomaTom

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Ok first the L would not start so I went and got some gas. :applause:

I filled her up and it started right away :lol: but wont idle with the choke off.

I can ride it :cry: but need to keep the choke open 1/4 to 1/2 of the way when I come to a stop sign.:
I can turn the choke off when riding and it pulls ok but it back fires a little bit.

I checked the plug and air filter and it looks good. I got a new CDI about 500 miles ago.:applause:

The only thing i can think of is that my clutch cable is starting to fray but it has been like that for 5-6 rides before I parked it and has never been a problem. Is it hard to replace

Oh yeah one more thing the idle did cyle a bit at the last stop light. Went up than down and the choke was on.

Any suggestions?

the bike a 94 650l 14K, is jetted, exhaust, smog off, clarke tank etc.

Thanks for the advice in advance-

• JackAttack

Posted February 19, 2007 - 12:36 PM

Pull the bottom off the carb and clean the main and pilot jet. You should be able to see through both.

• creeky

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:31 PM

Carb need cleaning.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:43 PM

or a loose jet... had one fall into my float bowl once made for all kinds of fits.

• motomonte

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Make sure it's not leaking air...check the boot between the carb and the head.try spraying some wd40 in that area,if it's sucking air the roughness should go.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 20, 2007 - 08:52 AM

A few thoughts:

- could be water in the gas
- if it has had the pilot jet replaced, and they used a long pilot jet, the slosh baffl could be blocking the jet
- fuel screw got bumped?
- latest batch of gas was gasohol (makes the jetting 14% lean for a 10% ethanol mix)

Dave

• xrltim

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:20 PM

That will be the pilot jet being partially or fully clogged. It is the smallest orifice in the engine and sitting for a lengh of time or dirty gas can easily plug it up. Especially a problem in small engines. A buddy of mine has gotten many a good deal on little bikes for his kids because they wouldn't idle without the choke. Easy fix.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.