yz426 for a trail bike??

31 replies to this topic
  • MikeDD

Posted February 20, 2007 - 04:17 PM

I ride from 8,000 to 12,000 feet, so I boil over fairly often. This year I've added an overflow tank from a WR. I had to make a bracket for the front mount, seems to work fine so far.

http://i83.photobuck.../yz426001-1.jpg

http://i83.photobuck.../yz426002-1.jpg

Nice setup!

Can you see the water moving through the line when your riding, indicating that your bike would be running hot? I guess the only other way to tell is by the level in the resivoir which is behind the seat.

• linkandcuff

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:12 PM

nice setup....so when its too hot it boils out into the tank and when it starts to cool off the radiator sucks it back in?

• GixRider

Posted February 20, 2007 - 06:58 PM

nice setup....so when its too hot it boils out into the tank and when it starts to cool off the radiator sucks it back in?

Correct...

On the pics above, nice job with mounting the WR overflow. I'm definitely going that route. I had seen a overflow that mounts behind the number plate but it was too cheesy looking.

• TotallyMetal

Posted February 21, 2007 - 05:40 AM

Nice setup!

Can you see the water moving through the line when your riding, indicating that your bike would be running hot? I guess the only other way to tell is by the level in the resivoir which is behind the seat.

Yes I can see it when the pressure overcomes the cap and yes it does suck it back in the radiator when cooling...

• linkandcuff

Posted February 21, 2007 - 05:47 AM

the whole setup me add another 5lbs tops..u would think it would be worth it to do it on all the 4 strokes from the factory

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 09:13 AM

Five pounds is huge.

The YZF is a purpose built MX bike. Overflow bottles are not necessary for that purpose, and are therefore not installed. Parts left off cost nothing, weigh nothing, and cause no problems.

You are modifying the bike to suit an unintended application, so it's up to you to add such stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted February 21, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I ride nothing but tight HOT (it doesn't get below 80 here in the winter) single track trails with my '02 YZ426. once i switched to engine ice a year ago i have yet to experience any boilover problems. as far as mud pits go, i've learned to trust this bike & open the throttle. friend of mine has same year WR426 & only difference is his is slower...:applause:

I run Engine Ice and I have found that I will not boil over as long as there is at least some air movement over the radiators...even going very slow in 1st gear. When I am going to be in really tight stuff I run 13/50 gearing and that combined with the Rekluse, auto-decomp cam, and a trials tire makes my '02 an excellent trail bike. Heck, I race harescrambles like that...on a really tight course the bike is unstoppable. Is it the most nimble bike out there? No, but the power delivery and the way it lays down traction more than makes up for it IMO.

When I ride in more open stuff I throw on a knobby and a 14 tooth front sprocket.

• grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2007 - 11:07 AM

... the bike is unstoppable. Is it the most nimble bike out there? No, but the power delivery and the way it lays down traction more than makes up for it IMO.

That is what thumpers have always been about. :applause:

• linkandcuff

Posted February 21, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Five pounds is huge.

The YZF is a purpose built MX bike. Overflow bottles are not necessary for that purpose, and are therefore not installed. Parts left off cost nothing, weigh nothing, and cause no problems.

You are modifying the bike to suit an unintended application, so it's up to you to add such stuff.

ur right...my head is in the trail riding side of things...

• Type Gendy

Posted February 21, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Trail riding is how i plan to ride my new 426 99% time

• tacoma426

Posted February 21, 2007 - 08:33 PM

I ride tight trails often and I have never boiled my 426 over.....my friends crf450x will boil over in no time.....so I wouldn’t worry ab it:thumbsup:

• sidestand

Posted February 24, 2007 - 06:03 AM

6 seasons of tight trail riding, never boiled over, engine ice, flywheel weight keeps it from stalling,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.